Cliff Ton

A few random photos - 2

You mentioned this before ..i always got the feeling Mick could get you a Twin Lewis, a box of Claymores or a fighter jet!!

What a wonderful setup that was.

Dave was always the bloke at the Commodore?

That's the one good mate of mine...

Once asked Mick what he would say if someone asked for a non nuclear sub he answered "Give me a .............................fortnight"

• Like 1

Dr.Turner on The Ropewalk was my GP and was convinced reception magazines...and the touching of...were a breeding ground.No gas fire here either.."Gods fresh air" was this man's

raison d'etre.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, denshaw said:

Doctors surgerys usually had Readers Digest, always old ones.

Laughter is the best medicine!  No side effects or prescription charges! smile2

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Dr.Turner on The Ropewalk was my GP and was convinced reception magazines...and the touching of...were a breeding ground.No gas fire here either.."Gods fresh air" was this man's

raison d'etre.

Sounds like a cheapskate!

• Like 1

No Jill! truly an excellent Doctor, really.

I left Lavelles on Bentink Rd.  and went back to Dr.Turner...his methods were a little dated ..but that suited me.

Even down to the quill and ink  he used for prescriptions...which were all 

homeopathic.

We had an allotment there, was it Gresham fields? It backed onto a cricket field at the rear of the Chateau.

Isn't Iremonger's Pond the one near the Ferry at Wilford, alongside the Toll Bridge ?    You can see it from the tram.

• Upvote 1

As a kid, I fished from the gravel spit where Fairham Brook flows into the Trent. It was considered the best place to fish  although I never had much luck there, then again I was never a good angler. 

A lad, older and bigger decided to push me out of the way and threatened to throw my tackle in the water if I didn't move. After some huffing and puffing I left, but I knew him and knew his bicycle. 

A rod rest has a nice point. A rod rest easily goes through a bike tyre. It's quite a way to walk carrying fishing gear whilst pushing a bike with two punctures.

Some time later he caught me on the street and thought he would extract retribution. What he didn't know was that the lady walking some distance behind me was my mam...

Never had any more trouble from him after that.

Iremongers pond, something to do with Albert Iremonger landlord of nearby Ferry pub. I Went to school near there and we always knew it as Georges pond.

Would that be Albert Iremonger the Notts County goalkeeper and Notts CC cricketer?

If so he was my grandad's sporting hero and he kept the Cremorne in The Meadows (closed in 2005, now flats) before the Ferry

Image result for cremorne pub nottingham

• Like 1

I recall having T.B. test at school  only to find shortly  afterwards  I had to go FOREST DENE for x- Ray's etc , i recall a DR ROBERTS and i was having to go there a fair bit . I eventually  was admitted to the ( RANSOM SANITORIUM   for T.B ) I was only 14 at the time , because my grandmother  had had T.B. and I was a close contact and had to undergo  tests to find out what was wrong with me. I was put on a women's  ward as to old for children's 

ward , I only saw my mum 1 day a week as I was the eldest of 8 . The tests really frightened  me in particular  this one  , BRONCHOSCAPY , as I was alone with the Dr during the whole  scary time . I was diagnosed  with  BRONCHIECTOSIS   of which I have suffered  throughout  my life . At aged about 22 I was rushed in to the same hospital  with double pneumonia  and pluerisy  , I was in a bad way , it was very serious  I was looking down on my own body and the next I was being  pulled up towards a bright  light down a dark tunnel  , something I will never forget .I have tried to obtain medical  notes of mine but to no avail . A former  patient  from the mid 1960s and 1970s .

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My paternal grandmother, Kate, was a patient at the same place for some time. I believe this was during the war as my father was away in the navy at the time. My aunt, who is almost 90, recalls going to visit her mother and struggling at home to look after the youngest child, Claude, born in 1939 and died 4 weeks ago, with the help of her elder sister, Mary, who was a nurse.

Grandma was eventually found not to have TB but suffered a collapsed lung. Her bed and those of other patients was sometimes parked outside in the snow. She didn't suffer any ill effects and lived to be almost 90. 

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Claude, born in 1939 and died 4 weeks ago, with the help of her elder sister, Mary, who was a nurse.

???   Is it me?   :Shock:

• Like 1