I suppose many of you will remember the Lady Bay Laundry vans screaming around the city.

Can anyone tell me if they are still in business.

I had the privilege(misfortune) to be the driver of one of those vans in 1967.

Sort of a fill in job just before coming to Aus.

It wasn't exactly a prestige job but it kept us fed and it was a bit of fun.

In the end I was sacked for turning up late on new years day. kickme

Baz :ph34r:

Shame Bazza,didn't they have a sense of humour? Surprised you turned up at all me duck. :victory:

Everyone's blood pressure is stabilizing!! ;)

There used to be a Lady Bay shop at the bottom of Blue Bell Hill near Alfred St South, they closed it and renovated another place close by on Alfred Street South a few doors up from Blue Bell Hill Road. My Mum was the first manageress of that one when it opened way back around 1960. We lived on the premises, oposite Agars green grocery shop.

Many years later I worked with old man Agar at Cotgrave Colliery.

• 5 years later...

My first job was at P Harvey & Son on Julian Road way back in 1980 leaving about 1987. I know it ceased trading but don't know when. Anyone on this site know what happened to the old factory? I'm everso curious...

I didn't know the area back then, but there is nothing which looks like a factory on Julian Road now, so I assume it was demolished after it closed. There's a development of flats/apartments at the far end - near the Cheshire Homes place - which were built around the mid 90s, so I'd guess that's where your factory was

Cheers Cliff Ton. I can remember going into Chesire Homes to their shop and getting goodies for the workforce..I was a snotty 16 year old when I started there, earning about £20 a week!