Church on Mansfield Road

As a child I went there. If I recall correctly the church higher up on Mansfield rd nearer to the Forest was being transferred to york st .It was right on the corner. Dont remember why. I must have been 8/9.

Higher up on Mansfield Road, near the Forest, on a corner........this ?

mansfield%20rd_zpsnecpdxjm.jpg

It's the corner of Villa Road and is now a Sikh temple, which might explain why the original church was being transferred.

The boarded-up building on the right is the former Neales auction place, which gets its own thread here... https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/14757-old-roller-skating-rink/#comment-498490

Yes thats it.Do you know whether that was a weslyan church too? I was baptised Methodist but I know my family going back years were weslyan. 

Thanks Cliff Ton

1 hour ago, nonnaB said:

Yes thats it. Do you know whether that was a weslyan church too? I was baptised Methodist but I know my family going back years were weslyan. 

Thanks Cliff Ton

On old maps it's always marked as Presbyterian.

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

#5  Surely this was St Andrew's church? My grandfather, Louis Saunt, and his younger brother, Archie, were both baptised there in the early 1890s. 

St Andrew's church is further up at the top of Mansfield Road at the junction with Forest Road; this church here is half way down Mansfield Road towards Vic Centre.

My grandparents went to the church on the corner of Villa Road when they moved to Nottingham in the 1920's from Scotland. It was Presbyterian. The congregation later merged with another Presbyterian church (St Andrews on Goldsmith Street). I think the church on Mansfield Road was St Columba's.

The church at the end of Villa Road has clearly  'changed hands' several times. I don't remember it as a Presbyterian church but in the 1960s it was a Christian Scientist Church - with their display window showing key texts built into the wall next to the NCT bus stop.