Argh....Me chillies!

I have got some kind of peppers that self seeded in my compost.

They are growing in the rubber plants pot. Now flowering and looks like one pepper is set?

In the unheated conservatory, can I expect it to fruit overwinter? 

When I used to work I kept chillies on the windowsill of the staff room.  It was always warm in  there and I could have fresh chillies all year round.  Although chillies are sold as annuals in UK, they are in fact short-lived perennials and can live for several years, given the right conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

Me chillies are still struggling on and some have even ripened, despite being completely defoliated!

b31168278082_43eea4dd2f_h.jpg

• Upvote 1

Friend on another forum says he allows his chillies to almost dry out and prunes them back hard.  Then stores them in a cool frost free place and starts them back into growth in spring.

I did that with three chilli plants and also shook off a lot of the compost from the roots before re-potting and watering in spring.  They lasted another couple of years.

I suppose saving seed is also a possibility.

Col

• Upvote 1

Promble with seed up here is the very short growing season.  It takes more than the available length of time before they fruit.