Moving From South East to Nottingham

• 3 weeks later...

Mrs Compo (Nora) likes Newark.  Handy for the A1 and East coast.  A clean, tidy town and has two railway stations; one for the East-West cross country route and one for London and Edinburgh main line..  she calls it "The town of many bins" because of the large number of litter bins on the streets.  Good, regular bus service to Nottingham and Lincoln too.

No, Newark's still quite a decent place, all things considered. My son lives and works there and we live about 15 minutes away. Reasonable range of shops and amenties and trains to Kings Cross only an hour and twenty minutes.

I can agree about Newark on Trent because together with Lincoln they are my nearest towns,very good restaurants/cafe's plenty of public houses some with loads of history,good shops including supermarkets and the market on Wednesday's and Saturday's plus plenty of touristy things throughout the summer

Rog

• Upvote 1

Well, we used to be spoilt for choice for very good eateries in and around there a year or so back, Rog. Sadly no longer, either closed or gone downhill due to changes in ownership/chefs etc.

Both Lincoln & Newark are pleasant places to reside and work, but Newark has become almost a vast distribution site at the Brunel Park Estate.  Therefore an ever congested island complex at the junction of the A1 / A17 / A46 has been exacerbated .

The A46 / A616 / A617 junction is almost as bad. 

Lincoln has been by-passed with the new A46 ring road and is much easier to negotiate. There is also the new dual carriageway A46 between the two places which is a great time saver, as one doesn't have to take your life in your hands every time you overtake one of the numerous tractors along the route. 

My youngest daughter lives in the centre of Lincoln, and I never tire of visiting her, as there is always something interesting to see.

I usually do the tourist route on me trike and stop at Gannets for lunch,shame about the eateries TBI, but still a nice place to walk round,Is Balderton any better?

Rog

Yes, actually Gannets is ok. If I take the bike out for a Sunday morning run Newark/Southwell way, sometimes I'll stop and have breakfast there. Don't think I've ever been to Balderton though.