Has anyone else noticed that youths are spitting in the streets nowadays. This seems to be a disgusting habit that has been brought in from abroad.

That said, I do remember the signs on the old buses "NO SPITTING" - probably to discourage the spread of TB.

Bamber

Are they chewing tobacco? That's a disgusting habit that requires a lot of spitting!!

SOME YOUTHS NOT ALL, GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT!!!

Don't shout, it's rude!!!

Are they chewing tobacco? That's a disgusting habit that requires a lot of spitting!!

That used to be common in Brit coalmines Cali, they couldn't smoke for obvious reasons so had a "chow" as they said. It used to be bought in the canteen as a 3/8inch by about 8 inch "twist".

Never could get the taste for it, tasted worse than horse shite, not that I've ever tasted horse apples!!

I used to smoke those days too, so I just chewed gum and took snuff for my "nicotine fix"

Funny enough, never had an urge for a smoke underground, but once I was getting close to the shaft at the end of a shift, the craving started!!! I'd get off the cage at pit top and run to the workshops where I'd left me smokes!

Apparently, during the time of the old sailing ships, a spittoon would be placed at the foot of each table at mealtime whereby the sailors could loosen their lungs..

custom was, that those with a better aim, usually the eldest, sat the farthest away, and the young lads would sit the nearest..

although it may seem the young lads got a raw deal, it was in fact a prized place to sit, as the missed shots from the elders often ended up with the lads receiving extra protein in their porridge.

At one time old men did that often, actually I haven't seen that in a very long time thankfully. eeewww

You're lucky Shari, my ex was a marine (and a cowboy to boot!) and it was VERY common all around the area near the marine base!! My ex used to leave spit cups all around the house! Blaaaahhhhh!!!! no2

At one time old men did that often, actually I haven't seen that in a very long time thankfully. eeewww

You're lucky Shari, my ex was a marine (and a cowboy to boot!) and it was VERY common all around the area near the marine base!! My ex used to leave spit cups all around the house! Blaaaahhhhh!!!! no2

Yuk, thats filthy Cali!!

Why do you think he's my EX!!! OK, there were other reasons also...

Why do you think he's my EX!!! OK, there were other reasons also...

Well there was being a cowboy...errrr, I don't think I'll go there smile2

In my old neighborhood there was a tap room that had a gully at the base of the bar with running water so the men could spit. It has been only in the last 25 years or so that the water was turned off and spitting was prohibited. I think it took so long as to keep the women out of the bar and in the "ladies area" which was another room entirely. :rolleyes:

In my old neighborhood there was a tap room that had a gully at the base of the bar with running water so the men could spit. It has been only in the last 25 years or so that the water was turned off and spitting was prohibited. I think it took so long as to keep the women out of the bar and in the "ladies area" which was another room entirely. :rolleyes:

I can recall when I lived in Australia, in country areas, men and management frowned on women going in the public bars!! They could go in the "best side" but not the bar!

But these days women can swear with the best of them!

• 11 years later...