Sign in to follow this  
plantfit

Bunny & Bradmore

plantfit    2,584

Don't know if anything has been posted about Bunny on the Loughborough road between Nottingham and Loughborough,they had the brickworks/clay quarry and RHP bearing works there,not forgetting Bunny hall with its Victorian walled garden and the old inscription above the doorway to the village hall/meeting room, and between there and Nottingham was Bradmore,I think they had a munitions factory there but not sure from which war,any comments from anyone?

Rog

Cliff Ton    5,492

1 hour ago, plantfit said:

I think they had a munitions factory there but not sure from which war,any comments from anyone?

I posted this a couple of years ago in another thread, but it will fit here as well......

In the early 1940s, land in Far Street, Bradmore was requisitioned by the government for manufacturing parts for incendiary bombs (although the official line was that it was for milling magnesium). It was built on what was then known as Smedley’s Orchard and was disguised as farm buildings. Its use ended when the war finished. Local Bradmore people worked there, and there was also bus which brought workers from Ruddington.

New housing now occupies the site, but part of the factory wall is still there, and an old office and canteen building have survived as ruins if you know where to look (and can be seen on Streetview).

• Upvote 1

plantfit    2,584

You had to be very careful machine working with magnesium,very easy for it to burst into a very bright white flame which was very difficult to extinguish

Rog

don walker    109

Alfred wheatcroft  and harry wheatcroft had a rose growing business in bradmore back in the 50,s but the 2 brothers fell out and harry left  In 1960 Harry eventually join his 3 sons and started a new firm called harry wheatcroft & sons (formerly called D.C. roses ltd)  on landmere  lane Edwalton.  I worked there for about a year,it was bloody hard work!!!!! I worked with harry on many occasions Jesus he was a slave driver. He live on Melton road the house was called  The Paddock.

• Upvote 2

TBI    1,793

Been visiting Wheatcrofts for many years. I remember there used to be a wall with lots of photographs of him back in the early days. Very flamboyant and quite a few pics with Royals, King George and Queen Mother etc.

Nice to see you posting, Don.

Cliff Ton    5,492

When we lived at Clifton in the 60s, a lady on our road used to look after Harry Wheatcroft's children from time to time, so we often saw him - moustache and Jaguar - driving past our house and parking a few doors away.