Red Lion Livery Stables in Nottingham

Hello,

I would like to ask if anyone knows where the Red Lion Livery Stables were located in Nottingham? My Gt Gt Grandfather worked there about 1850.

What I've found out so far:  Looking online there doesn't seem to be a Red Lion pub in Nottingham these days, but after some online archive digging I found that Cliff St used to be Narrow Marsh and for a period in the early C20th was renamed Red Lion St ("after the eponymous Red Lion public House"). However I can find nothing about a Red Lion on Narrow Marsh. Does anyone know if there was one, and anything about it, please? Or was there a Red Lion pub elsewhere in central Nottingham in the mid C19th?

Many thanks in advance :)

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Frances. I have heard of Red Lion Square when researching my family tree but have no further information.

You need to borrow the skills of our very own Cliff Ton. If it existed, he'll find it! Famous for it, he is.

Welcome Frances.   I was just about to post this when I saw Jill's post, which put pressure on me, but I might be ok.

The answer may be here, on Clumber Street. Look at the details in the entry for No. 17.

MatOHzB.jpg

• Like 1

I believe that The Lion on Clumber St was in it's time a coaching inn previously known as the Whyte Lion which fronted onto Long Row so would have stables as part of of the requirements for such an establishment. It was not however, as far as I am aware, ever known as the Red Lion.

The Red Lion in Narrow Marsh was closed in 1929 and Red Lion St demolished in 1933. There is a photo of Red Lion St in the Douglas Whitworth "Lost Buildings of Nottingham" but doesn't show the pub. The demolition left one property on the street, The Loggerheads pub.

3 hours ago, Commo said:

I believe that The Lion on Clumber St was in it's time a coaching inn previously known as the Whyte Lion which fronted onto Long Row so would have stables as part of of the requirements for such an establishment. It was not however, as far as I am aware, ever known as the Red Lion.

True ! I got carried away with that, so it's probably safe to ignore my first enthusiasm for it !

2 hours ago, Commo said:

The Red Lion in Narrow Marsh was closed in 1929 and Red Lion St demolished in 1933. 

The place on Narrow Marsh - Red Lion Street - seems to have always been known as the Old Red Lion, which might rule it out.

Digging a bit further.....the only Red Lion pub I can find was on Manvers Street.

Maybe Red Lion Livery Stables was an independent operation; the assumption that it was connected to a pub - or anything else - may be barking up the wrong tree.

• 7 months later...