The Villages Of Glapton and Clifton

Was the old blacksmith forge and house  Glapton then? it is across the road from what we know as Clifton village (which personally I think has lost it's character with all the new buildings in there)

Rog

3 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Was the old blacksmith forge and house  Glapton then?

Yes, if you look at old maps before the estate was built, everything on the non-village side of Clifton Lane was referred to as Glapton.

And there are still a few houses on Glapton Lane which are survivors from Glapton village.

8suElEN.jpg

• Like 1

Just love the buildings,always have done since the time I lived at Clifton,the big house just up from there on the A456 next to the vicarage used to be a foster home,probably privately owned now of student accomadation with the university being just over the road

Rog

I know how you feel CT, I used to play down the old village when I were a kid, walking down that ash path to the stables and the church then down the steep hill to the bottom of the grove at the side of the Trent, a walk up to Clifton pond, did you ever go to the old building behind the hall that overlooked the river? we used to call it the Roman temple because it had all plaster friezes around the edges like posh coving and a nice view across the Trent valley and over Attenborough nature reserve,It might have been an old "folly" but we didn't know that back then

Rog

I remember the steep hill at the side of Clifton Hall which led down to the river. And it's still there - although it's a lot more overgrown than I remember it.

NGlIJtA.jpg

1 hour ago, plantfit said:

did you ever go to the old building behind the hall that overlooked the river? we used to call it the Roman temple because it had all plaster friezes around the edges

I've never been round the back of Clifton Hall so that's something I missed.

• Like 1

The "folly" was still there about 10 years ago,I know this because I could see it from across the river when I was working at Attenborough quarry

Rog

We used to walk down that hill as kids,it certainly is overgrown now, when you got to the bottom of the hill turn right and walk alongside the river at the bottom of the grove all the way to Clifton bridge, if you went straight on (at the bottom of the hill) you come to Beeston weir and if you turn left at the bottom of the hill it took you to Colonel Clifton pond (proper name Holm pit) it might have been dug out to supply aggregate for the building of the weir but I'm not sure of that, going past the pond  along the footpath got you to (what we called) Marshalls farm, up the track there to what was a very narrow A453, and back to the villages of Clifton and the only few houses that was Glapton, a lovely walk in summer

Rog

• Like 1

I'd forgot all about the police dog training ground, that was on the path back up the hill heading towards the A453 on the right hand side if I remember right, there was also a lot of pine trees in that area, the memories are slowly coming back now you mentioned that CT,just before you got there was a wildflower meadow where as scouts we used to camp, I mentioned that in another thread about Clifton in the 60's or sommat like that,back to the training ground, there was all sorts of jumps for the police dogs made from pine tree trunks and logs at different heights,some we would try and scale others we left alone,

Rog