I’ve just read in today’s Newark Advertiser that a 9lb salmon was caught in the river Trent at Newark last week. It just shows how clean the river has become. It’s illegal to fish for salmon in the Trent but if one takes the bait what do you do? It was photographed, weighed and returned to the water.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It should be OK they were out of the closed season (Oct - Feb). I never realised just how draconian the fines are for catching them during the breeding season, £50,000 - I don't think it's that much for mugging old ladies..

• Upvote 1

Your'e just trying to bait us Waddo but be careful you don't spin us a line and make a rod for your own back!  

Salmon have been running the Trent for some years. They head up river to spawn on the major tributaries such as the River Dove. I have seen two on the Dove. My pal took a video of them jumping a weir Nov 2017. I fish the upper Trent just a few hundred yards from home and catch trout and Grayling, both of which require high quality water. I am expecting to see a Salmon one day but I would not dream of fishing for them. 

They’ve been sighted in theTrent near to me at Hazleford weir. I notice an application has been registered to build a mini turbine generator there. There already is one at Beeston weir. It does seem a shame to seen all that water energy go to waste. There’s scope for a few more between Cromwell and Colwick. Fish passes are part of the planning submissions of course. It’s great to stand beside the Trent now and actually see the river bed. 

• Like 1

I remember the smell and the suds at Hazleford only too well. There's a lock keeper's house on the island at Hazleford. I remember many years ago there was no access by bridge. There was a stout rope from shore to island just below the weir and a boat was secured with a loop to the rope. To get across you had to go hand over fist along the rope in a boat. Not something I would fancy when returning from the pub on a winter's night. Apparently the occupier of the lock house in those days was the son of the Dame of Sark.

After catching the 209 bus and getting off in Fiskerton where Station Street meets Main Road in and going through the Bromley Arms carpark to the "wall" we often used to walk from there to Hazelford, then get the ferry across and fish on the other side of the island.

Sadly no bus and no ferry now.:( The pub’s just called the Bromley now and has gone ‘modern’.  I went in there last June but only to use the gents. A bit too fancy for me - but where do you find a traditional country pub?

When the Trent eventually became quite clear about 20 or so years ago some fishermen started complaining about how difficult the fish were to catch. The fish were able to see the tackle and got spooked. Quite daft really. There was a golden period of easy fishing between 40 and 35 year ago when the river became fairly healthy but retained a bit of colour. Last week an 18lb barbel was caught along with many fish exceeding 12lbs. So the river is returning to it's former quality. In the olden days the gentry would have their servants wade in, to shuffle the gravelly river bottom. This action released aquatic insects and larvae an attracted the barbel into the area for the gentry to catch...........essential information that will make your day :rolleyes: 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Interesting post PP, when I used to fish the Fairham brook in the 60's/70's I used to wade a little way upstream to where I had set up, rake up the gravel and silty bottom to create a muddy cloud in the water, go back to where I had set up, start fishing and start catching big Chub to threee and four pounds,once the muddy cloud had passed the fish catching would be slow again, great sport though

Rog

• Like 1