Notts & Derby Regiment soldier from Sneinton

@Simon Jervis not sure if you are including outlying districts but a while ago I did a blog on WW1 soldiers from Carlton , Netherfield and Gedling , many with pictures of those heroes. 

https://djwilson22.wordpress.com/2020/08/31/some-of-the-heroes-of-carlton-netherfield-and-gedling-of-ww1/

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

We don't yet know if the soldier in the photograph survived the war or was killed in action. However, there are other clues that will help to narrow him down, as he is wearing rank chevrons on his sleeves, he must be a Sergeant. Secondly, he is wearing the "Cor Blimey" cap with the long ear covering straps, (in the photograph they are buttoned across the top of the cap), this cap was worn in the early part of the war but was phased out with the introduction of the soft cap and the steel helmet.

@DavidW that’s an amazing project you’ve worked on, it’s obviously taken many hours of research.  I spent the first 8 years of my life in Netherfield but don’t remember too much about it and certainly don’t recognise any of the family names you’ve researched.  Well done though. It’s posts such as this that I enjoy reading the most …… all about real ordinary Nottingham folk. Fortunately my two grandads came back home at the end of WW1.  

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, DAVIDW said:

@Simon Jervis not sure if you are including outlying districts but a while ago I did a blog on WW1 soldiers from Carlton , Netherfield and Gedling , many with pictures of those heroes. 

https://djwilson22.wordpress.com/2020/08/31/some-of-the-heroes-of-carlton-netherfield-and-gedling-of-ww1/

I collect post cards, photographs and the documents of Great War soldiers from where ever I can find them, usually car boot sales, local auctions and antique fairs. I am not collecting to any particular area or regiment but tend to buy those that are named, or at least have clues as the identity of the soldier, addresses are particularly helpful. I have a few identifed Notts and Derby Regiment men, but they will not necessarily have a Nottingham connection. I can post a list if any one is interested.

I am pleased to see your blog, you have done some interesting research there.

• Like 1

I would be interested in seeing the list, Simon. A number of family members served in the Notts & Derby and I also have a friend whose family has links with them.

Have you ever found any KRRC soldiers with a Nottingham link?  My maternal grandfather and his youngest brother served with them.

1575   Pte Sherwood Harold Lewis 1/7th Notts & Derby Regt
2168   Pte Rollason Harold 1/7th Notts & Derby Regt
2215   Pte Cunningham Bernard Robert 1/7th Notts & Derby Regt
2720   Pte Brown William George 1/7th Notts & Derby Regt
3202    Pte Taylor Richard 1/8th Notts & Derby Regt
3552 266053  Pte Brown Arthur William 1/4th Notts & Derby Regt
5950   Pte Davidge Edward   Notts & Derby Regt
2234   Sgt Kirk John Joseph 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt
2506   Sgt Olver Leslie 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt

39 265003  CSM Towlson Hubert J 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt
  265014  CQMS Sutcliffe Percy 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt
  265015  Sgt Ward Arthur F 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt
  265019  Sgt Simkins Daniel Frederick 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt
419 265020  QMS Bailey Joseph 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt

Sgt

Smedley Amber 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt
  265202  CSM Whittington William 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt
141 265524  CQMS Mills Garnett 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt
  265555  C/Sgt Neal Horace H 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt
  265596  Sgt Ash Albert Percival 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt
  265680  Sgt Parsons Walter Gillions 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt
  265760  Sgt Gamble Alfred 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt

Sgt

Harper Enoch Henry 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt
  265867  Sgt Newham James 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt
  265895  Sgt Holden Arthur 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt
  265959  Sgt Raistrick Henry Carr 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt
3457 266004  Sgt Skevington Harold John Hendly 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt
  12779  Pte Britland Robert Charles 9th Notts & Derby Regt
  13640  Sgt Abberley Thomas Frederick. M.M.   Notts & Derby Regt
  15417  Pte Knipe Frederick John Wylam   Notts & Derby Regt
  17451  Pte Hill Albert E 9th Notts & Derby Regt
  18119  Pte Vail Albert  9th Notts & Derby Regt
  31235  Pte Harris William E   Notts & Derby Regt
  57826  Pte Breedon Harry 15th Notts & Derby Regt
  60937  Pte Benson Thomas W 15th Notts & Derby Regt
  70301  Pte Tindall John Llwellyn 17th Notts & Derby Regt
  70468  Pte Murphy Charles 10th Notts & Derby Regt
  72436  Pte Holliday Albert E 15th Notts & Derby Regt
  76378  Pte Dean John C 16th Notts & Derby Regt

This post has made me realise that this is what I hoped Nottstalgia was about. The anything political thread is, in my mind a distraction and I wish it did not exist and was never created. But I realise that some enjoy it and I can and should just ignore it. I just wish it was enjoyed elsewhere. There are surely more suitable forums for political discussions where people with a passion for these matters can debate their opinion rather than here. Just wanted to get that said.

• Like 5

The list posted above was cut and pasted from my spreadsheet, it needs updating and I will add corrections. However, at least one of them has a Nottingham connection, Arthur Holden, of 4 Gadd Street, Radford, Nottingham. He is buried in the Nottingham General Cemetery.

265895 Sgt Holden. Arthur. 2/7th Notts & Derby Regt. Died 04/06/1920. Nottingham General Cemetery. Group Photograph

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, letsavagoo said:

This post has made me realise that this is what I hoped Nottstalgia was about. 

That's very similar to the comment I made a few days ago when another old thread was resurrected, and it reminded me of how things used to be. 

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/5615-musters-club-west-bridgford/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-704817

• Upvote 1

As the old saying goes, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

If anyone wants a copy of any of the Notts & Derby photographs on my list please send me a personal message and I can send one as an email attachment.

I forgot to add that I have only posted the name and number side of the spread sheet, the other side contains the outcomes and place of burial or commemoration if the soldier was killed in action or died of wounds.

I can post the whole Notts and Derby entry if anyone is interested.

I don't know whether this is your thing but I have this piece of information. He is not related to me but he was my grandmother's first husband. I know little more about him than what is here other than the rest of the info from CWGC and a little bit that was in Nottingham Post. He was in a bantam battalion and was apparently the first Notts and Derby bantam to be killed.

LAKIN-J-H.png

At the time of him being called up in 1916 my paternal grandfather was living in Mapperley but his family connections were Gordon Road in Sneinton. He initially went into Notts and Derby reg, trained as a signaller and subsequently transferred to the South Staffordshire reg when sent to France. I have his Notts Derby shoulder badges. The regiment that a soldier was initially sent to isn’t necessarily the regiment that they ended with, alive or dead. My maternal grandfather volunteered and served with 2 different Scottish regiments although he was Daybrook born and bred. He was pleased as he ended with the Highland Light Infantry who were I believe the only Scottish to wear ‘trews’ not kilts.

ps. There is a little information on a project I was involved in regarding my paternal grandfather, part of the centenary of the ending of ww1.

https://nlha.org.uk/arf_item/present-location-uncertain/

6 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

I don't know whether this is your thing but I have this piece of information. He is not related to me but he was my grandmother's first husband. I know little more about him than what is here other than the rest of the info from CWGC and a little bit that was in Nottingham Post. He was in a bantam battalion and was apparently the first Notts and Derby bantam to be killed.

LAKIN-J-H.png

The 15th (Service) battalion, Notts & Derbys were indeed a Bantam battalion, raised in Nottingham in February 1915. They went oveseas on the 1st February 1916. Your relative must have been badly wounded and brought home before dying of his wounds. He will be in an unmarked grave in Nottingham General Cemetery as his name is now on the screen wall. This was a money saving exercise as he would once have had an individual C.W.G.C. headstone. These were removed so as to cut down on the need to keep each individual grave maintained. If you go to the cemetery you can ask to see the burial register for 1916 and they should be able to tell you where exactly his grave is.

Thanks for that. I have been into General Cemetery on a number of occasions to find his grave but have not been able to. All I know is that it is at the top end. You have solved a mystery. With regard to him (no relation to me) having been in a Bantam battalion, he must have been happy to have found his wife, (later my grandmother) as she was only 4' 11".