Michael Parkinson

Sad to hear of the death of Michael Parkinson. I enjoyed watching his show and interviews, witty, intelligent, interesting and funny. Missing in today's TV interview programmes.

Dickie Bird, among many others, will miss him at the Test matches. 

• Like 1

I grew up watching Parky, and even at a younger age was gripped by his interviews. Even if the guest was someone I'd never heard of he made them interesting, asking questions that drew their stories out of them in what seemed an effortless way, almost as if it was just a chat between friends in your living room. 

One of the few 'stars' that genuinely deserves the accolades and tributes being paid to him.

R.I.P 

Yes, he was entertaining, albeit a bit sycophantic at times depending on whom he was interviewing. Unlike many of his ilk, he didn't try to dominate the proceedings and allowed people to talk without constantly interrupting them.  He was adept at his job and enjoyed a good innings.

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

Going back before his chat show, I first saw Michael Parkinson on a programme called 'Cinema' (a film review programme) on Thursday nights at 10.30. 

That brought back a memory spark Cliff Ton. Wasn't Clive James on it for a while too?

Many years ago we had a chap at our local who regularly used to brag about meeting Michael Parkinson at a golf day. We knew the chap had a forthcoming birthday so we wrote to Parkinson, through his agent, telling him about his bragging, and could he send him a card? Sure enough, a few weeks later he was in the pub showing a card which said ‘happy birthday from your old friend Parkie’.