SMACK

Now go an gerit washed proper

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

Never understood me mam until I was about ten....took me ten years to learn English.

Bip.

Never understood me mam until I was about ten....took me ten years to learn English.

Bip.

Sad to say, I don't think I really understood my mum until after she died (1991)! Only then did I realise how much she meant to me. I miss her even now!

Don't know about the pea thing - but the "tide mark" routine sounds very familiar!

Mum would rarely swear - but if we were pestering her about what was for "pudding" (desert was for snobs), eventually she would get frustrated and tell us "sh&t wi sugar on"! She must have learned that one growing up in Snienton!

• Upvote 1

Sad to say, I don't think I really understood my mum until after she died (1991)! Only then did I realise how much she meant to me. I miss her even now!

no2

I never 'got on' with my dad but boy how I cried about a week or so after he died (1990) .

13 and 16 years later I walked out of the maternity hospital ward with both my new born to show my dad sounds daft I know but I knew he was looking down!

I'll tell the full story another day!!

P.S. Getting back to the topic

My dad used to call far*ing... Fluffing as in "I've just fluffed" (not that he ever admited to it the dirty sod)

;)

My mum also said 'sh*t with sugar on' or 'a run round the table' for pudding. [she was a Basfordite] Did anyone else's dad say 'pull my finger' and he let one rip? I thought he was so clever!

My dad used to put his thumb in his mouth blow and at the same time flex the muscle in that arm it looked like he was blowing it up like a balloon.

;)

Aaah, the days before telly! Our parents never saw such a thing before the 50's, so entertained themselves and others.

The "pull me finger", " sh*t wi sugar on", "run around the table" - used to get all them and that's from \Broxtowe so I guess it's from all over Nottingham.

My uncle used to bend his thumb on the left hand and then did the same with the right hand as he put them together and made it look like he was spltting the thumb as he moved his hands? Did I explain this alright??

As a kid it seemed amazing and I must admit I used to do it to my kids too. Call me Paul Daniels if you like smile2

I lived near to you Frank on Amesbury Circus. Deepdene Way came off our street up into Broxtowe. Maybe the sayings were from that area.

I used to deliver down them streets Katyjay when I was a delivery lad for the Co-op on Broxtowe lane. Packed up me paper round as I thought it would be easier doing the deliveries. No way. A skinny lad of 14 weighing 4 stone wet through trying to balance the old butchers delivery bike fully loaded and then having to push it back up them hills thumbsdown - no wonder I'm a physical wreck.

My uncle used to bend his thumb on the left hand and then did the same with the right hand as he put them together and made it look like he was spltting the thumb as he moved his hands? Did I explain this alright??

I know what you are talking about (I did it for my eldest a couple of years ago She was 2) and she screamed and ran off)LOL

;)

If someone did something my mam thought was taking a liberty, she'd say 'he's got the cheek of Lambley Jack' I never did find out who Lambley Jack was!

I got the wife with one today , my youngest was reaching up to the work surface for something and I shouted BOB BARS she looked at me gone out "never heard of that before said she"

;)

Guest Anne

My Mum used to say "Stop walkin raund wi Charlie on ya back"

I don't know who Charlie was or Lambley Jack but I do know who Jackie Pownall was!

Another saying of hers was "It's neither muck na nettles"

And another "I want the organ grinder not the monkey"

If we were dressed to go out and we thought we looked great..

we'd sometimes get the comment "Ya look just like a sac o taters

tied in the middle".

Another one was "I'll pulverise ya".

And "Ya dun up just like a dog's dinner"

We had a slight variation on one of those it "Ya luk like a sack o taters dun up ugly

;)

I don't think this is a Nottm saying, more a general one. This one's for the ladies, if your underskirt was showing below your dress, someone would tell you by saying 'Charlie's Dead'. Without even looking, you'd hike it up through your clothes.

I remember a lad saying to a girl "Yer slips showin" and quick as a flash she said

"eye so's yer mams"

;)

Who remembers the saying 'how's ya mother off for dripping?'. The lads would say it then laugh like a drain. I never did know what they were on about. Anyone?

I figured it must be summat mucky!

How about asking someone if you looked OK and they'd say 'you'll pass - with a push'

We had five pinters and double baggers, usually down the Palaise on a Wednesday night.That is to say you needed 5 pints inside you before some of em started to look attractive and with the double baggers you put one on your own head in case the wind blew hers off

;)

Beefsteak, me no understandee?

BTW I've done 500 posts now, do I get summat, besides a smack round the tab?

Sorry I pressed enter before I had finished it re read ime sure it will be clear as mud P.S. I'me on 766 posts in only 2 months do I get owt or just the label of Nobby no mates, Saddo ETC

;)