Ayup all,

Some great posts from the first "collecting" post and they bought back some memories to myself and no doubt others, but what I'm asking now is "What do you collect now?" And is your collection in some way connected to your childhood collection?

Rog

I've collected a nice library of books over the years, everything from American civil war, to a 1000 years of British history, and many other topics.

I'm also starting to collect old tube ham equipment, which i want to restore and put on air eventually.

Empty beer bottles - mmmmmmm smile2

Seriously, I just collect books that I've enjoyed reading. can't seem to part with them even though i doubt I'll ever read them again. Funny that, but there you go.

For some reason I've started to collect old engines and renovate them, Two Lister single cylinder diesels and a Suffolk engine foundry petrol engine at the moment, about 40-50 years old and in running order now. It must be the air out here in Lincolnshire..... I've turned agricultural!

Rog

I don't know how many times I've read James Herriot books Frank, but I still get pleasure picking them up and reading them all over again..

For some reason I've started to collect old engines and renovate them, Two Lister single cylinder diesels and a Suffolk engine foundry petrol engine at the moment, about 40-50 years old and in running order now. It must be the air out here in Lincolnshire..... I've turned agricultural!

Rog

The elec engineer I had at Angus Place Colliery in NSW does that Rog, he comes to the States every couple of years or so to static engine meets. He used to have a web page showing his latest rebuilds. I'll have to put you in touch with him!

Thanks for that John, I'm hoping to show one of mine this year at Heckington show in June I've also got Micheal Palin books which I can read over again, and an old favourite book I like to read is Fly fishing by J R Hartley,,,,yes it really is a proper book.

Rog

Seriously, I just collect books that I've enjoyed reading. can't seem to part with them even though i doubt I'll ever read them again. Funny that, but there you go.

I was the same, until my library total exceeded 8,000 and the living dimensions of my compact and bijou bungalow were being considerably reduced! For the last year or so I've been selling about 25 a week on eBay/Amazon - but remain loathe to sell the volumes that I really cherish.

The prices you can get on online sales are quite amazing...

I had a long out of print railway series, which I expected to sell for £5/£7 apiece. When 9 bidders 'fought' over the 1st of the 17 volumes - and the winner bid £62.50, I sat up and took notice!

Conversely, books which you are certain will sell for £30 go for about a fiver :)

Cheers

Robt P.

He also restored two cars, a wolsley, i'm sure it had a wooden body, or at least most of it was, can't recall the other car he restored. Static engines are his forte though.

Offically - I collect martini glasses - they have to be unique and signed by the artist. They are getting more difficult to find so I only have six so far! They are not in any way related to my childhood :rolleyes:

Unofficially, and if you ask my wife, I collect MGB engines and maybe MGB cars. I have two cars, but a total of five complete and a couple of incomplete engines. May be related to my childhood as I have always been fascinated by cars!

thumbsup

Rob, Thanks for the free copy of SNASM which I understand is on the way to OZ. As you mentioned selling books, would you happen to have a coy of The ragman`s daughter(Silitoe) it is unobtainable over here,and I have just ordered a copy of the DVD from America, and would like to compare them. Stan B)

Thanks for that John, I'm hoping to show one of mine this year at Heckington show in June I've also got Micheal Palin books which I can read over again, and an old favourite book I like to read is Fly fishing by J R Hartley,,,,yes it really is a proper book.

Rog

J. R. Hartley

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fictional character appeared in television advertisements for Yellow Pages (a British commercial telephone directory), first shown in 1983. The character was played by the actor Norman Lumsden.

The advertisement shows an elderly man going into several bookshops asking for a book called Fly Fishing by an author named 'J. R. Hartley'. Every attempt fails, and the next scene shows him at home looking dejected. His daughter, sympathising, hands him a copy of the Yellow Pages, and the next scene features him looking delighted as a bookshop replies that they have a copy of the book. He asks them to keep it for him, and they ask for his name. He replies, 'My name? Oh, yes, it's J.R. Hartley.'

The advertisement is one of the most popular ever made in Britain, and remained a part of popular culture long after it ceased to be shown. The advertisement was affectionately parodied many times in the 1980s, by comedians such as Jasper Carrott and Mel Smith & Griff Rhys-Jones. When Lumsden died in 2001 at the age of 95, despite his numerous other roles and distinguished career as an opera singer, the death of the man who played J.R. Hartley was the national headlines, and the advertisement was broadcast again in his memory, nearly 20 years after its first appearance.

jr%20hartley%201983.4.jpg

Stan,

I read 'The Ragman's Daughter' many years ago, but I'm pretty sure that I don't have a copy. Also remember seeing the film...IIRC, much of it was shot around St. Mary's Church on Highbury Vale and Whittier Road, off Sneinton Dale.

Somewhere, I have a paperback copy of Sillitoe's 2002 sequel (long gap!) to SN&SM, entitled 'Birthday' - written from the viewpoint of Arthur Seaton's brother Brian, about the Nottingham trips from his London home to visit his brother. Much of it set, not in Radford at all, but around the Vernon Road/Mill Sreet crossing locality. Rather odd book - totally unlike SN&SM - but quite readable, nevertheless.

I'll post it over to you....IF! I can find it!

Cheers

Robt P.