On 4/2/2024 at 6:18 AM, MRS B said:

It’s so difficult to judge when the best time to sow and plant out tomatoes is.

Apart from Black Russian and Piccolo as cherry tomatoes what varieties is everyone planting?

I make a years supply of passata every year so I grow fleshy tomatoes like San Marzano, Coeur de Beau and Iraqi. The Iraqi ones are from Mosul originally and to prevent the seed from becoming lost, some bright spark in the Iraqi war collected loads to keep them going. 

• Like 1

The mainstay varieties I always grow are Gardeners delight and Moneymakers. They have stood the test of time being good croppers and disease resistant.

• Like 1

We have two 8’x12’ greenhouses. In one we grow 14 tomato plants, usually Shirley. In the other we grow 4 Beefstake tomatoes, 4 cucumbers and a mixture of peppers and aubergines. Both greenhouses are now cleared out, cleaned and ready to go. I lit my three year old bonfire on Saturday which had become massive. About 20’ by 10’. It was a spectacular blaze! My veg garden had grown over since my hip problem and it’s getting a bit too late to rotovate it now. I might hire a deturfer, shift the grass and rotovate it ready for next year. We can buy fresh, locally grown vegetables from the shop in the next village though without the effort of digging. The fruit trees are in full blossom and, after very few apples last year, I think we’re in for a glut. I’m going to make cider for the first time in 25 years. I’ve got a scratter and a press in the shed. Let’s hope I don’t have to pour it all away this time! Will Bramleys make a good cider? One of our trees is a clone from the original Bramley tree in Southwell.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Have you got a picture of the scratter and press Phil? I'm an enthusiast :rolleyes:

They’re deep in the back of the shed somewhere. I’ve got to root them out. I bought them when I stopped working in a factory and became a full time rustic. I also bought six sheep, a Landrover Defender, a heated propagating frame, a pair of green wellies and a flat cap. I sometimes chew on a piece of straw as well. :biggrin:

• Like 3