I can't remember the first record I bought, but I thought about what was being played as I started work for the first time on Jan 1st 1962. This is the top 20 in the UK for January.

1 Stranger on the Shore - Mr. Acker Bilk

2 Id' Never Find Another You - Billy Fury

3 Let There be Drums - Sandy Nelson

4 The Young Ones - Cliff Richard

5 Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen - Neil Sedaka

6 Multiplication - Bobby Darin

7 Let's Twist Again - Chubby Checker

8 Moon River - Danny Williams

9 Midnight in Moscow - Kenny Ball

10 Johnny Will - Pat Boone

11 Run to Him - Bobby Vee

12 The Twist - Chubby Checker

13 Tower of Strength - Frankie Vaughan

14 The Lion Sleeps Tonight - Tokens

15 Walk on By - Leroy Van Dyke

16 So Long Baby - Del Shannon

17 Forget me not - Eden Kane

18 Language of Love - John D Loudermilk

19 Toy Balloons - Russ Conway

20 Cryin' in the Rain - Everly Brothers

Aaaaagh, I can hear them all now.

The first record i ever bought, and i was still at primary school, was "Diamonds" by Jet Harris and Tony Meehan, formerly of The Shadows.

The fact that we didnt even have a 45 playing radiogram didnt deter me, and i merrily spun the turntable of the 78 only machine , with my middle finger, not worrrying that it was not rotating at a constant speed!....Thankfully, my mum bought me a Phillips Disc Jockey portable record player shortly afterwards, the name of which seems prophetic dont you think!

It being portable was great, and id sit on the front step listening to the songs in the charts of 63, and at around that time The Stones released their first LP, which i remember playing as the sun shone down into the front door as i sat there listenin to the music take on a wierd swirly kind of sound............it was then i realised that the ferkin sun had warped it beyond redemption!!!! I changed where i used it very soon after that!

I also remember the 1st single I was given as a present along with my portable record player,it was Last Train To Clarkesville by The Monkees.

It must have been a b/day present as I was also given Engelbert Humperdinck & Nancy Sinatra. Nice to have my own record player though, as for years we had been using quite a large one & from where it came I have no idea, but I do know the singles which were with it, came from a pub my Aunt & Uncle used to own/run called The poets Corner on Kirkewhite St. Would there have been Jukebox's in the pubs in those days ,the early 60's?? I suppose there must have been? I must say it was a very diverse selection of music,as you can imagine,probably taken out of the Jukebox because it was outdated,very much like my job today.

The little record player which was very dear to me as we had very little new stuff,was given to my boyfriend when he left to go to Australia & from all accounts he had it a good few years after he arrived in Melbourne,ooo the things you do for love hey?? hearteyes

Just realised this is in the wrong place & I don't have the power to move it imsorry

Katyjay wrote:

I can't remember the first record I bought, but I thought about what was being played as I started work for the first time on Jan 1st 1962. This is the top 20 in the UK for January.

1 Stranger on the Shore - Mr. Acker Bilk

2 Id' Never Find Another You - Billy Fury

19 Toy Balloons - Russ Conway

20 Cryin' in the Rain - Everly Brothers

Aaaaagh, I can hear them all now.

I went through the list and could remember every tune, and more than a few words. If you gave anyone a list of the top twenty from any other era since, I doubt that they could recall much at all. Songs and music then were memorable. I suspect I will be humming Acker Bilks "Stranger on the shore" most of today. As for "Moon River", absolute magic tune.

Hugs Alison

hi Alison

I have a book called Hit Singles. Top 20 charts from 1954 to 1996. They tell you each month in both the UK and US. I have found it invaluable, as I am usually wrong with the year when guessing a hit.

Yeah, right! I can remember a lot of things from the 60's though, I think all of us that went through that magical time, can remember all sorts of things, we just need a little nudge to remind us.

If music had been a drug in the sixties, I would have had to spend a lot of time in re-hab to bring me down to earth.

Placing those old 45s on the Dansette Major record player to the consternation of my parents.

It wasn’t playing the records that they objected to, it was my singing along with the music that used to drive them nuts. When I bought a tape recorder some years later, I realised they had just cause to dread my music sessions.

I suppose at that time my favourite singers would be:-

Elvis Presley

Buddy Holly

Billy Fury

Del Shannon

Not forgetting Little Miss Dynamite ‘Brenda Lee’

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. bought heck of a lot of records in the 60's. Mainly Elvis before the Beatles and after them, and the whole Merseybeat sound, inc. Billy Fury and Gerry and the Pacemakers.

This list is a great combination though. Loved doing the twist and listening to Walk on By.....wait on the corner.....hm!

Also liked some of the others too. Memories....dontcha just love em? thumbsup