More Music Trivia

Guest Anne

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Julia Elizabeth Wells was born on October 1, 1935 in Walton-on-Thames, Surrey, just eighteen miles south of London. Julie was named for her grandmothers, Julia Morris and Elizabeth Wells. Her father, Ted Wells, was a woodwork teacher and her mother, Barbara Morris Wells, was a piano instructor. Julie’s first performance came at the age of two when she appeared as fairy in a dance...

AKA - Julie Andrews !englandflag!

• 1 year later...
...and whilst on the subject of Educating Archie how many of you can remember the 14 yearold girl with the 4 octave range voice who appeared in 1950-52 on the show ( Julia Elizabeth Wells born October 1, 1935, in Surrey, U.K.

...and what about other famous people on the show... !tanning!

Max Bygraves.

Was it Pet Clarke who was on the David Nixon Show?

Anita Harris was was with David Nixon,,,, apart from singing, she was The Magicians Assistant & general gofo,,,

~~~~~~~~~~:~~~~~~~~~

Cooooo,,,,,, I didn't half fancy Pet Clarke

My mother always reckoned that Kathy Kay was Billy Cottons 'Bit on the Side', she would sit there saying 'Look at the way they're exchanging glances' or 'They're standing a bit too close, whats he doing with his hands'. It used to drive me up the wall.

She could talk, she was madly in love with the other regular on there, Russ Conway, the pianist with the Colgate smile and half a finger missing. I seem to remember it was claimed at the time he had lost it in action during the war, bravely fighting the Japanese while in the Australian Navy, however I heard another story that he lost an argument with a bacon slicer, sounds more plausible but not likely to win you fans on The Billy Cotton Band Show.

Ayup firbeck,

I seem to remember he had some sort of motor accident, I can remember him coming on the show with his hand/arm in bandages

Rog

Rumours abound!!! 'cause I heard it was an accident with a Bureau and on another occasion it was a typewriter that was to blame

Incidentally , Kathy Kay is the mother of Jay Kay , leader of the group Jamiroqui

Ayup firbeck,

I seem to remember he had some sort of motor accident, I can remember him coming on the show with his hand/arm in bandages

Rog

Great how people can stir the memories, I have a vague recollection of that as well, how can Billy have continued his show without 'Side Saddle' for several months, but then again, those smiles at the camera didn't need the piano to make women like my mother swoon at the sight of him.

They probably suggested at the time that the injury was an old war wound, but he could possibly have obtained the problem while getting his own back on the bacon slicer.

I've tried to convince my mother since that he was actually gay, but she doesn't believe me, well in those days it was unthinkable wasn't it, as well as being against the law.

Poor old Russ, at least Elton John sent flowers to his funeral, says it all doesn't it.

Rumours abound!!! 'cause I heard it was an accident with a Bureau and on another occasion it was a typewriter that was to blame

Incidentally , Kathy Kay is the mother of Jay Kay , leader of the group Jamiroqui

So it was Billy Cotton and the BBC that indirectly paid for that untalented, obnoxious gits, fleet of Ferraris, I always wondered how such a useless, egocentric pillock had managed to tap into the music business, now I know, it's a classic case of who you know isn't it.

I do agree with Firbeck on this one , I think the word we are searching for is Nepotism. Although he does have a reasonable voice , I still think he's cr4p

I shall dismiss JK, he isn't worth wasting valuable space on, you're right Beefy, nepotism is spot on.

Educating Archie was a very wierd show, it's interesting to see who appeared on it.

Apart from Julie Andrews, we had Dick Emery, Benny Hill, Tony Hancock, Hattie Jaques. Bruce Forsyth, Beryl Reid and Harry Secombe, the script was later written by Marty Feldman, remember him, a genius cut off in his prime, I often wondered whether Peter Brough sat in front of the radio mike with the dummy or he sat alone, self consciously making the effort, I would suggest that a so called ventriloquist like him would have been slightly mad and couldn't perform in any media without the dummy, the whole theatrical creation has very strong overtones to the film 'The Entertainer' with Lawrence Olivier, watch it and see what I mean.

What were we thinking of in the 50's, Jimmy Clitheroe, a short adult playing at being a child, how wierd was that, or was it possibly and no doubt rightfully, the age of innocence, wouldn't we like to get back to that situation, when the world was a place of wonder, black and white TV and non PC, when apart from sexuality and swearing, anything was possible, or was it just a murky world of backstage sadism and drug taking, no doubt it was, but we were'nt aware of the fact, so who cared. We couldn't contemplate such things, these were our heroes, it was their problem, not ours, not that we knew anything about it as we weren't constantly reminded of it in the press as we are now.

Sad how peoples lives are hung out to dry and they are crucified these days, whoever they are and whether they deserve it.

Quite agree with you there firbeck, why is it that the press or whoever build these people up only to disect their private lives and ridicule them and eventually ruin them, in the name of openness and freedom of the press?

Rog

Just to prove this point look at Jade Goody. They build her up cos she's thick as sh*t and they can have fun at her expence, nock her down over the weight loss video (She really had liposuction (Alledgedly) ) build her up to put her in Celebrity big brother, nock her down through a slightly racist comment, and now try to build her up by putting her in the Indian big brother house only to dicover she has cancer.

She's been up and down more times than a punchy prize fighter . That Max Clifford has a lot to answer for !!

Nobody has mentioned the greatest of all sunday lunchtime programmes, 'Round the Horne'.

Back to 50's and 60's innocence again, how they got away with some of their sketches is beyond me:- 'Hello my name's Jules and this is my friend Sandy', or the songs of Rambling Sid Rumpo, all of course by the inimitable Kenneth Williams. Even then, it never ceased to amaze me, I was probably in my no-all, nod nod, wink wink, early teenage years at the time, but Mr and Mrs Average with kids, were sitting down after a pleasant sunday lunch and no doubt killing themselves with laughing at this stuff, my mother and father certainly did, whether they understood the implications of it is another matter, but I'm sure they did.

I have a vague memory of going to a one off seaside show at Weymouth in 1961, it was hosted by Kenneth Horne and featured such memorable acts as Vic Oliver, the poe faced comedian with his violin, Ruby Murray, the voice of an angel, and the great Peter Cavanagh, the man with a thousand faces as long as they looked like Field Marshall Montgomery, didn't we have fun in those days.

Take note Peter Kay, your extravaganza on sunday night was pathetic.

I find your opinion of Peter Kaye to be wrong . You are entitled to your opinion ,again, but different generations like different things . I personally find him hillarious, he doesn't need to use smutty inuendo to make us laugh, or knob jokes , or politics , just very good observational comedy.

Just to prove this point look at Jade Goody. They build her up cos she's thick as sh*t and they can have fun at her expence, nock her down over the weight loss video (She really had liposuction (Alledgedly) ) build her up to put her in Celebrity big brother, nock her down through a slightly racist comment, and now try to build her up by putting her in the Indian big brother house only to dicover she has cancer.

She's been up and down more times than a punchy prize fighter . That Max Clifford has a lot to answer for !!

Fine, but she's got more money as a result that we shall ever see matey. I feel really sorry for her because of her cancer ordeal, but there you go, life isn't fair is it, I hope she pulls out of it, but unlike you and I, she has the means to do what she wants with regard to treatment.

Her co-conspiritor in that Big Brother show, Jo, is my missus's cousin, they met up for a chat last week, silly sod has lost everything though, thanks to the money grabbing, stitch up agents, and I won't say the name of the evil git, well known to us, who did the damage and pocketed the large amount of change from money that poor Jo never saw. Despite being in S-Club 7, and they still play their music on X Factor, she relies on the occasional media interest to keep herself going, no doubt you would think that what they pay for that though, would keep you and I going for a long time, but it just about pays her mortgage apparently.