Drink Your local Brew.

Very good - or bad!

I have spent many drinking hours in "The Tiger" - mostly at lunchtime as an underage escapee from that (now closed) institution of higher torture across the road!

I will have to try a pint of the infamous "Harvest Pale" next time I find myself over there!

Stopped off for a quick re-hydration tonight in the Poacher on the way home after another day pipe strangling at work - and the HP was superb. While I was there I noticed that they had one of Mick's favourites on - Castle Rock Black Gold (mild) smile2

I tried a pint of the Hardy & Hansons dark mild last Christmas in Sutton-on-Sea. Haven't had a "real" mild in years, and it was pleasantly delicious!

So who brews "Harvest Pale"? - and where can I get it in and around Nottingham?

Castle Rock Black Gold. The pump label said it was a MILD.

Den, you forgot the pub just above the Poacher (Batemans) can't remember it's name just now as I've just got back from sampling a couple of ISSAC Pales (Lincolnshire brewery) in the Chestnut Tree - they always have HP on but the place is a bit too strange for me :crazy:

Oh, and I read in the Nottm Drinker the other night that the Canalhouse also has HP on permanately. If you visit there you can sit/stand having a nice pint of HP and you can admire the nice air conditioning installation we did when the place was converted a few years back smile2

Sadly Mick, Karen says J2O is not on the buying list and is not likely to be. Girly drink if you ask me. !rotfl!

Forest Tavern it is Den - passed it on the bus last night on me way to the Poacher with the lovely Mrs frank and me daughter, who was up visiting for the weekend from Cambridge.

I noticed that the Charles Napier behind the Poacher has recently been refurbished but I didn't get a chance to have a look.

We stopped off for a couple (well I did) of Erdinger Wheat Beers in the Hard to find Cafe first so we could sit and catch up in a smoke free environment.

Hard to find Cafe! - wasn't that hard as we found it !rotfl!

Got in to the Poacher about 9:50 and managed 3 before we had to catch the 10:40 bus back home. Geez, how women slow you down smile2 if it was up to me I'd have carried on till chuckin' out time and then staggered all the way back home.

Just goes to show, when you are out with 2 women, us men just don't stand a chance. : :Friends:

Just got back from a long weekend in Cornwall and found an exuisit excuisite exuisite exqusite ( bu99er !)very nice brew in the Camelford area called "Dutchy" a local brew don't know how far into Cornwall it goes. Good price too £2.00 pint not bad for real ale to grockles !!!!!!!!!!!!(Tourists)

;)

• 2 years later...

We are within a few meters of the perimeter wall around the Notts County ground,

hence the name of the brewery!

However, all football fans, indeed all beer fans, are very welcome to visit this website and indeed sample our beers.

I used to work in Ashling Court many moons ago, pity we didn't have a brewery then , I'd never have left !!

One of the bars in town sells "Detroit Lager" - does that count?

It is actually very good!

• 3 months later...

Not everyone agrees with Harvest Pale being rated so highly

The only time I tried it, I agree with the first comment

Home, Ales forever ! commented on 03-Aug-2010 20:36

Gnats p!ss.

the green hyson, nottingham commented on 03-Aug-2010 20:27

sooner we get rid of the bearded wallies in CAMRA the better! They are a bunch of no hopers who still live with their mams

Not fond of Harvest Pale either - prefer Hemlock Bitter!

I'm not really a regular bitter drinker these days so I'm probably not the best judge but I've tried Harvest Pale two or three times and found it very ordinary. There seems to be a general emphasis on producing these pale straw-coloured brews these days. I'm pleased to see that the local brewery won an award though and they're certainly doing something right as they can't seem to make enough Harvest Pale to fulfil the demand for it.

Not a patch on the Home bitter I used to drink as a lad though!

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/Castle-Rocks-Brewery-s-Harvest-Pale-Britain-s-best/article-2486725-detail/article.html

I once drank a very nice pint of Shippos Bitter.

Isn't that an oxymoron? rotfl.gif

Around 1975, I visited the Shippos Brewery.

There was a guest room there where you could sample beers from the barrel

of different dates.

I was even less qualified then to judge but there were people who commented favorably.

I believe that Shippos beer was only as good as how it was kept?

I believe that Shippos beer was only as good as how it was kept?

Yes indeed, that was always my understanding too...accounting for the differing tastes from pub to pub.

A well kept barrel providing a pleasant drink

My favourite 'local' bitter (when a regular drinker in the days of yore) was undoubtedly Mansfield...which was much less prone to variation.

Cheers

Robt P.