Not as such but have traced my family tree back to Somerset to a town called Chard....but not any further back than that.

Bip.

In conjunction with my NZ ex-pat Uncle, we traced our Pollard tree back to 1680.

He would spend most of his home visits, much to my Aunt's exasperation, in churches & libraries digging through numerous records. Leaving Muggins 'ere to tie up the loose ends upon his departure.

Whilst it was sometimes an enjoyable excercise, my enthusiasm hardly matched that of my Uncle.

He passed away some 10 years ago, and I am currently putting the work on to Word, for my cousins.

We also researched the maternal tree - which is obviously much more difficult - but thought better of it when I established that an early 19th century descendant was hung for murdering both parents...'patricide' apparently!

Funny how many folk who emigrate often seem to develop an interest in their forebears.

Stan...please explain

I sense the WWW has now made most of the research much easier.

Cheers

Robt P.

I find it all fascinating. And I must say thanks to my little sister we are finding out new info every week. Trouble is once you know where you come from you find out all sorts of undesirable things,take me for example,I found out I'm descended from Papuan New Guinea pygmies,is there any wonder I love meat..........

:yahoo: !hungry!

Short a4se meat lover then?

Are you sure Caz somewhere in your ancestries past one of them owned a Vine yard or winery…maybe a bottling plant.

Bip.

A bit of a convoluted story here.

My mum started looking into hers (Hawtin) in the 1980s after a visit from an Aunt from Oz who is a Mormon .Apparently the Mormons believe they can convert their ancestors to the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" so they can all meet in the happy hunting ground or summat

Any way I had took my Aunt to London to the National registry of births marriages and deaths for the U.K. so she could do some workand got a bit nosey myself poked around and was amazed how far back I got in just a few minutes (This was before the days of the internet) anyway on returning home I told my mum who then started poking around herself.

By complete fluke about a month later she got a letter from a mature student from East Anglia who wanted to know if she was related to the Hawtins of Great Tew in Oxfordshire circa 1930s, well of course she was and he passed on the stuff that he had researched for his assignment.

It turns out we have no gory secrets but we are related to Sir Ranulph Fynes the explorer and Raiff Fynes the actor

;)

We did a fair bit of research a couple of years ago in the process of trying to determine if my colon cancer was genetic (it isn't!).

We knew we had connections on my mum's side (Martin) in Eastwood and Nottingham, and on my dad's side (Marshall) in Heanor and possibly East Leake. We did discover that there is probably a branch of the family in the Ilkeston area too!

well lets put it this way caz heard the sounds in oz when all the skeltons in our family fell out out of the cupboard....!!!

you should see what i havwe uncovered today caz s.gif.gif' /><!--endemo-->.gif' /><!--endemo-->

Didn't you hear the empty wine bottles too.. http://www.websmileys.com./sm/aliens/hae28.gif' alt='hae28.gif'>

Bip.

Lol,still going on about my wine drinking hey Bip? Tonight i'm on Sambucca ..................Yummo.

well lets put it this way caz heard the sounds in oz when all the skeltons in our family fell out out of the cupboard....!!!

you should see what i havwe uncovered today caz http://www.websmileys.com/s.gif' />.gif' /><!--endemo-->.gif' /><!--endemo-->

Well spill the beans then sis,what did you find out are we really blue bloods or just commoners ? You'd better be careful what you say this lot on here are wind up merchants ,we will never hear the last of it ;)

Lol,still going on about my wine drinking hey Bip? Tonight i'm on Sambucca ..................Yummo.

Sambucca? - watch out that the flame doesn't singe the tash on your top lip smile2lips0

Lol I obviously hadn't been waxed when we met Frank. No flames just coke ........................ ;)

Ive been researching mine on my fathers side for about 8 years now and have found ancestors, mostly in Lenton, Dunkirk and Beeston but some in London and mostly agricultural workers and bootmakers as a lot of people were in those days.

Up to now no skeletons in the cupboard but theres time yet.