We pay $6.90 for a piece of fish in our local takeaway & the minimum chips is about $3, so $9.90 how does that compare,it's too early in the morning for me to convert ;)

AU $9.90 = about 4 squid

Our local chippie sells fish(flathead)AU$4 chips from AU$2.50 and it's all crap too.

Baz :ph34r:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oi ....... give me my fish back!    

The AU$6.90 fish I can't remember what it is,it's not Snapper or Flake,maybe Grenadiar? anyway it's fabulous & big. The AU$4.90 flake is smaller but still good,but the chips? once they are luke warm they are uneatable, all frozen shite ,why can't someone pay a bloke to peel & prepare real chips from real potatoes? What we do is ring & order the fish & I make my own chips & open a tin of mushy peas,it's the only way to do it Baz thumbsup

Just to Clarfy for readers can we put AU$

Done!!

Well for me it's got to be Cod or Haddock or Black Bream or Pollack or Coalfish or Gurnard or Rock Salmon or Plaice or Skate or Monk fish or ETC ETC ETC.......LOL

;)

Have you eaten flake { shark} BF? it's probably the best fish for battering.

You are ok good ,just had another report on Kerang at least 12 dead now.

Rock salmon is actually dog fish (small Sharks) not too keen on that ,But I caught a 70lb Maco Shark out in Barados and got to eat a chunk of it ,that was served battered (If only to knock it out so I could get my hook back LOL) I wasn't that impressed (not half as unimpressed as the shark lol)

;)

Have you eaten flake { shark} BF? it's probably the best fish for battering.

No ...... but I've eaten Dolphin smile2

mmmmmmmm..........delicious.

If you ate Dolphin in Florida Frank, it aint Porpoise

It's a fish...

Mahi Mahi is dolphin the fish NOT Flipper the dolphin

I had Dolphin in Barbados too but like Mick says it's Mahi Mahi and the locals are adamant "It's not Flipper but a fish" just to put your mind at rest (It's very often found on the Buffet table along with Snapper etc

;)

If you ate Dolphin in Florida Frank, it aint Porpoise

It's a fish...

Mahi Mahi is dolphin the fish NOT Flipper the dolphin

Geezzz - I gave her an extra big tip as well cos I said ' make sure it aint got no flipper in it' :tease:

We catch Dolphin fish(Mahi Mahi) 20Km or so offshore around the fish traps.

Next time you get the chance to try them just slice thinly and dip in lemon juice raw.

Yum!!!

Not a big sushi fan but the skip on a boat I go out on off Angelsea used to take Makerel off you fillet them and drop them in a frying pan with some butter for about 30 seconds each side absolutely brill

;)

Not a big sushi fan but the skip on a boat I go out on off Angelsea used to take Makerel off you fillet them and drop them in a frying pan with some butter for about 30 seconds each side absolutely brill

;)

I could easily handle that.

Re sharks.....

Gummy sharks are supposed to be the only ones allowed to be sold for human consumption here in Aus.

The main reason being is that they feed mainly on molluscs as opposed to other species of sharks being at the top of the food chain in the sea,eat whatever they bloody well like.

Herein lies the problem.

the big fish eat the little fish and so on up the food chain.By the time it gets to the sharks all of the nasties that have been consumed are passed on to them.One of the main problems which comes from this is called Ciguatera.This is en extremely debilitating illness some of the symptoms being a reversal of the bodies sensations which includes hot feeling cold and vice versa.Apart from this,in extreme cases it has been known to kill people.

The message in this is,don't under any circumstances eat large(over1.5m) sharks.Apart from that big sharks have a strong ammonia smell which carries over to the cooking and they taste like sh1t.

Good fishin!!!!! !hungry!

Just infomed SWMBO that I am going (course )fishing on Monday. She gave me a filthy look and stormed off to work, LOL

Do you have a close season over there Bazza? We have one here ,it is from 15th March to 15th June both dates inclusive in other words 14th March to 16th June .

It used to be all rivers,canals and lakes that were closed but now you can fish private lakes in the close season in most regions of the U.K.

In the old days the first day of the season used to be absolute chaos with people camping out all night just to get a good spot and to cast in on the stroke of midnight NUTTERS ( I love the sport but not that much)

;)

Some states have a closed season for trout.The rest of the fish are a free for all.

We have a lot of carp around the country which were introduced many years ago.Now they are classed as vermin and must be destroyed on capture because of the damage they do to the river systems(or what's left of them).They grow pretty big too.Not sure what the biggest is but 20 pounders are fairly common.

I don't do a lot of freshwater fishing myself but when I do it's mainly for Australian Bass.

What kind of carp are they then I wonder ? We have a few speicies here Common ,Grass, Koi,Mirror,Ghost and Orfe to name but a few and none of those cause any damage as far as I know.

They are all great fish to catch as they give great scraps (Mirrors grow up to 70lbs here but 100lb+ have been caught on the Continent) especially river raised fish as they are a lot stronger

As I say I don't know of one that will cause damage to waterways but if you do catch one take it home and eat it 'cause they were originaly raised(in monasterys usually) for the table (check the type first!!!!!!!!!)Great delicasy's in Rumania and Bulgaria.They used to have them for Christmas dinner there. I still haven't had the chance to go there fishing yet (been skiing though) because no one goes fishing there and since the fall of Communism the lakes were discovered to be heaving with 70+ pounders 'cause no one had fished there for years.

;)

Mostly common carp but some silly sod put Koi carp into the lake system that was the olympic rowing venue.

If they get into the local river(Nepean)system and start cross breeding with the other terrorists we'll never get shut of them.

Commons are certainly ok to eat ,never tried koi but the big ones with the best markings go for a small fortune to collect (Particularly Japanese) so catch um and flog um I say

(Just off now for a 6 hour session at my local mere there arn't any koi in there but there are some good sized common and grass)

;)

EASY LIIIIIFE! ;)

Easy life? Let me tell you I had to mow the lawn for permission to go.Plus I had to make a Beef Wellington for our evening meal tonight (Its our 8th wedding anniversary) and take Adam for his MMR innoculation and pick SWMBO up from work ,plus etc etc etc!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

By the way I caught loads and loads and a good sun tan to boot LOL

sorry it went in twice for some reason (ARE YOU STILL PLAYING MICK) remember what your mam said about playing with yourself

;)