Warching an old rerun of 'The Young Ones', reminded me of how TV used to be.

Can you remember when TV closed down late at night?

The screen would go blank for a while then a voice would say,

"Don't forget to turn off your set"

For those who had fallen asleep, soon after that there was a high pitched tone!

And when you did turn the set off, a small white spot would remain in the centre of the screen.

One was compelled to watch it till it faded from view.

Turning off the lights would extend the experience.

Come to think of it some modern day TV is equally as interesting.

I was living in the flats at Hyson Green in 1970 when we got our first colour tv - a Redifussion, channels A B & C for TV and D E F for radio.

The first night we had it in we watched the coloured dot in the middle till it went out. :crazy:

We had Redifussion telly too and I took the micky out of my mates by telling them that we could watch the radio too LOL !rotfl!

Incedently with the arrival of cable,Redifussion came round and (free of charge) errected airiels for existing customers because they had sold their existing system to the first cable provider

And another silly fact ,did you know Redifussion used to pay non customers 1 shilling (5p) rent per annum for allowing them to run their cables across their houses. It arrived every three years in the form of a cheque

;)

Ayup Beefsteak,

Funny you should talk about being paid rent for running a cable across your property, The electric company out here pay me about £13 a year for the electric pole in my garden, it's the only way we gwt our energy out here, no gas in the village either.

Cheers

Rog

You need to negotiate Rog, or accidently put your garden fork through the cable until they come to the party ;)

It would have to have a long handle on the fork as the cables are about 25ft overhead LOL

;)

That came from a womans perspective, don't worry about the incidentals something can always be done to fix or unfix :tease:

Getting back 2 the dot experience wasn’t the dot a color one as apposed 2 the black and white set.

My first colour TV was a Bang and Olofsen from Pearsons in Nottingham, cost an arm and a leg at the time but worth it, beautiful picture.

My very first TV was a Redifusion black and white model on a mono stand, push buttons if my mind isn’t playing tricks again. Couldn’t at the time afford to buy so rented as most people did.

These days though TVs are as common as ASDA carrier bags at a council run knocking shop. I have several portable TVs, two in my loft at the moment doing nothing apart from gathering cobwebs; my lad as one and my daughter too has one of mine making five in total I own.

Bip.

And the BBC used to play the national anthem too unionflag

Reguarding taping the dot Red sorry but it would be impossible to do as that dot is generated by the TV and the signal recieved comes direct from the arial into the VCR

i remember the dot on the screen . coming down stairs after going to bed to find my husband fast asleep in the chair .after trying to wake him up, he would turn round and say why have you turned it off i was watching that

You fibber Red ,that was a photo of last nights 3/4 moon, but good effort though

You always know how to lower the tone don't you Den flyswat