I've been bitten.

Are you like me sitting outside more and more.

Since I moved I have been sitting outside at the back of my bungalow on a patio area just outside my kitchen door.

We are at the moment having some nice evenings even though not as nice as those in hotter climates but still nice enough 2 sit with a cold or if you prefer hot drink munching on whatever takes your fancy chocolate or Custard Cream or even a doughnut the one with a custard filling fromAsda.

Also these past several nights I have noticed how many flying insects there are, they have been that numerous that they are even coming into the bungalow awaiting 4 me 2 lock up so they can ambush me while watching late night poon channel.

It’s got that bad now that I don’t leave my outside light on anymore when I go 4 a drink, if I do my front white plastic door is covered in flying insect of all shape and sizes awaiting 2 have a piece of me when I turn the key 2 go in.

Awoke this morning with several gnat bites in places that I wouldn’t show a girlfriend if I had one that is.

2 day I went on eBay 2 look 4 bug zappers the electric type.

Found 1 that sounded very reasonable, works from the mains and is guaranteed 4 several years.

So come on you hot climate people how do you cope with these flying bloodsuckers.

Bip. :sorry:

This is one problem you can blame on the weather BIP ,the extra water that has fallen has made the land more like a swamp to make the breeding of the little bleeders a lot more in their favour. Also as some one said the other day there are less small birds around to eat them, Im'e just thankfull we have bats round here to keep the numbers down while I am sat outside having a crafty stogie and the customary glass of Cognac of an evening.

;)

"So come on you hot climate people how do you cope with these flying bloodsuckers."

Bug screens on all our windows - and on any doors that we may want to leave open. O'course, this time o'year we don't need 'em 'cause we have the air conditioning running!

I used to swell up somethin' 'orrible if I was bit by a mozzy - but I seem to have acclimated to them and, for the most part, they leave me alone! Otherwise I'd be covered in bug-off everytime I went outside!

As soon as the little sods start biting off we are inside to keep cool in the air conditioning as Limey said. Sometimes it can't be avoided though,& a remedy we use here is Vicks chest rub smeared on the affected part takes the itch away,it works try it B) to be honest unless we get a stray one I can't remember the last time I got bitten,mind you flyscreens on all the windows & doors helps,if theres a crack screen it!!

Fly screens on every window, doesn't keep some of the very tiny biters out, but deffo the mozzies! It's pretty dry here at the moment, so the mozzie population is way down.. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone 4 the advice and I will defo apply Vicks vapour rub 2 those areas that have swollen up, will it sting?

Must remember 2 2 wash me hands before I visited the dungy.

Regarding fly screens I might get a few wry looks from me fellow residence if I started nailing chicken wire 2 me plastic windows also I reckon it wouldn’t do the frames any good.

Now where would I get Citronella oil? Do B&Q sell it or would I need 2 go 2 a garage, [gas station]

Lavender oil sounds good, I like the smell of lavender oil but dabbing it in the places I have been bitten in might be a little risky, the blokes at the club may think I’ve turned all woman like.. Candles sounds good 2 but wouldn’t they go out at the slightest of breezes.

Bip.

Citronella oil you can get from hardware outlets Den,even the candles work,. We grow Citronella plants here too,they are great,just break off a few leaves ,rub it on yourself & hey presto the little buggers leave you alone. No Vicks doesn't sting but smells like hell!!!

My mother in law used to put it on the hem of her underskirt, not really something that Den can do! But could put it on other bits of clothing.

Many folks here use Avon's Skin So Soft..mozzies hate it.

It would make you smell nice too!

We can buy stuff like "Off" and Deep Woods Green" too.

All very effective.

B) Is that the Avon calling stuff of which I get a catalogue shoved through me door letter slit every so often, it must be good stuff because diesel normally gets 2 look through it before I get a look in. when it arrives and lands on my wooden floor he jumps out of his skin with the noise it makes when it hits.

He has this habit of hiding it in his basket until I go out, it’s only when I get back that I know he’s been perusing the glossy pages because they are spread about the bungalow like confetti at a Jewish wedding.

Deep woods green sounds more like a paint colour than a remedy for the prevention of gnat sucking.

And OFF what is that when it’s at home.

It’s not Keep Off the Deep Woods Green stuff?

When I was in Italy some years ago you could buy something that smelt of cats wee, you bought it in a pen like dispenser, made you smell as if you have weed your pants or your friends colostomy bag needed emptying. :Friends:

Bip.

Out in the Everglades we were asked if we had any Mossie repelant before we went out to see the Aligator infested swamps. Thinking we were just being treated as suckers by the 'kind' lady we ventured out, like the big hard buggers we thought we were,only to scuttle back, tail between our legs 30 seconds later to purchase the best insect deterant I have ever used (Little pump action aerosol shaped thing (like breath freshener) cost about $4.00 but the best 4 bucks I ever spent)

;)

Yes...you buy it from Avon...not made to stop mozzie bites...but it does..

my sister who lives in Spain uses it for that...and it works..plus you would go around smelling ever so nice!

I bet diesel would love you even more if you used it!

I tell you..here we have the biggest mozzies in practically the whole wide world..they'd win a competition I'm sure.

That's why we use Off and stuff like that...our mozzies call for drastic measures!

:rolleyes:

Ohhh yes...down in the Everglades they also have big mozzies down there as well..I bet you don't go there again without it BF. :blink:

Out in the Everglades we were asked if we had any Mossie repelant before we went out to see the Aligator infested swamps. Thinking we were just being treated as suckers by the 'kind' lady we ventured out, like the big hard buggers we thought we were,only to scuttle back, tail between our legs 30 seconds later to purchase the best insect deterant I have ever used (Little pump action aerosol shaped thing (like breath freshener) cost about $4.00 but the 4 bucks I ever spent)

;)

I remember that Ian

Bloody things Dive bombed us as soon as we walked out of the shop!

Recent news reports are about the new threat of the SUPERSLUG.

Size of a Jack Russell apparently!

Been out on the patio of an evening having the odd crafty stogie in one hand and the salt container in the other . Killed 10 massive slugs in one such session thumbsdown

You expect me to believe there are slugs out there as big as Jack Russells!!!!

Never!

I do remember asking if I could be the one to put salt on the slugs in our front garden though.

I didn't realise how cruel it was way back then!

Did you win BF??? smile2

Nah they keep sneaking up behind me and bonking me on the head and pinching my beer money

girlvboy

I 2 is having same problem with slugs, these blighters have learnt how 2 skate board, just wait until I find out who taught them…

Anyroadup picked the dogs dish up last night 2 be confronted with several sticky buggers on the inside of it licking away at his dog tripe, dizsel seems 2 have a taste for the long yellow ones not so keen on the big black ones though.

Been told they are very tasty fried with several cloves of garlic, don’t know how true it is.

Bip.

I 2 is having same problem with slugs, these blighters have learnt how 2 skate board, just wait until I find out who taught them…

Anyroadup picked the dogs dish up last night 2 be confronted with several sticky buggers on the inside of it licking away at his dog tripe, dizsel seems 2 have a taste for the long yellow ones not so keen on the big black ones though.

Been told they are very tasty fried with several cloves of garlic, don’t know how true it is.

Bip.

I don't know either but I wouldn't like to try (I have eaten Hedgehog though) tasted a bit like swan !rotfl!

I tried Kangaroo - but it made me a little jumpy! :blink:

I asked for a crocodile sandwich "and make it snappy pal ok" I got kicked out !rotfl!

You two are soooooooo funny ..............................NOT!! xx