I remember Hippos (Short for Hippodrome ) nightclub on Bridlesmith gate but I don't remember it having any statues

The statue moved from "Theater Square " was Queen Victoria's and now stands on the Victoria Embankment near the Victoria War Memorial. It was moved for alterations to the roads

By the way ROB, spell checker tells me that that is the correct spelling of theatre

Yes it was...across the road from Yates's.

Transferred in 1953 to the Embankment...recall being dragged down to Slab Square by my very Royalist Aunt & Uncle to witness some ceremony to mark the move.

Must have been where I learnt the art of falling asleep, whilst standing...

Cheers

Robt P.

I thought queen Victorias statue used to be at the bottom of Market street near slab square toilets.

I may be wrong but I think I read somewhere that her statue was moved to safe keeping in the war (not sure which) then couldn't be put back because the roads were altered, then she was put in the square before being moved to her present location

Just been looking on picture the past, and the Hippodrome was renamed the Gaumont. The royal concert hall now stands on the site of the old Empire.

That's what I'd always believed though I was slightly unsure about that. I was taken as a kid to see 'Snow White' at The Gaumont.

Anybody heard the tale about some performer at The Theatre Royal or The Empire getting confused in the underground tunnels in the theatres and popping up through a trapdoor into the wrong stage in the wrong theatre?

I remember the Hippodrome didn’t it have very steep seating in the upper circle?

If I recall rightly I once lost the top off me cone landed on a chaps head who was several rows down from where I was sitting.

Bip..........feeling a tad better.

I remember the Hippodrome didn’t it have very steep seating in the upper circle?

If I recall rightly I once lost the top off me cone landed on a chaps head who was several rows down from where I was sitting.

Bip..........feeling a tad better.

You mean The Gods. As a kid I always wanted to sit in the Gods at The Gaumont, but my mum always insisted on the stalls and not too near the front.

I remember my mum telling me that, when courting my dad , they always used to go 'up in the gods' cos they could have a cuddle in the dark