Wot's on wi-less?

What radio programs did you used to listen to before TV went and spoiled it all?

My earliest memories are of a battery powered radio. Not talking transistor, way before that. The tube/valve heaters were powered by what my mother called an "Accumulator." This big glass jar had two plates that used to bubble in the acid. Had to be re-charged fairly often by our neighbor who used to charge tuppence I think.

It often seemed to run down right in the middle of a play. :-) At which time she did not call it an accumulator anymore but something much more colorful.

Anyway we finally got modern and my dad bought a big fancy plug in radio and the three of us used to listen to some great shows. My opinion anyway.

Take it from Here, Life with the Lyons, Journey into Space, Family Favorites on Sundays, and my favorite, The Goon Show. My folks had nothing good to say about the Goon Show except "Too daft to laugh at." They just didn't get it! :-)

I think all of those guys have now passed on. I think Harry Secombe (Ned Seagoon) was the last. I think that later shows like Monty Python owe a lot to the trail blazed by Secombe, Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers, and my poor old memory forgets who the fourth guy was. Maybe someone here can bring it back.

Most of those shows never really made it to TV even the ones that tried.

But it was great to just sit there and use your own imagination to visualize the crazy antics.

WE got our first TV in 1957, a 14 inch Ultra from Wigfalls rentals (Wonder if they still exist?) From then on it went downhill, although some of the early TV shows were far more entertaining than todays especially as they all tended to be live with no room for video editing to get rid of the goofs.

My grandmother had previously bought a TV in 1952 I remember sitting glued to it all day in June 53 for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth. I think this may have been one of the first and most ambitious outside broadcasts.

Now our kids cannot believe when you tell them we actually lived before TV came to most homes. If I tell my grandkids the first TVs were B&W about 9 inch screens they look at you like you just got off the ark!

There is a BBC nostalgia site, not sure of the link, but you can google it. Has quite a few Goons and other clips.

So, what were your favorites?

Dave

I think all of those guys have now passed on. I think Harry Secombe (Ned Seagoon) was the last. I think that later shows like Monty Python owe a lot to the trail blazed by Secombe, Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers, and my poor old memory forgets who the fourth guy was. Maybe someone here can bring it back.

Dave

Micheal Bentine is the one you forgot.

I'm afraid I don't remember any thing before T.V. We got our first in 65, first programme watched ? "The White Heather Club with Robin Hall and Jimmy McGregor" Scotish music and dance usual guests,Andy Stewart, Kenneth McKellar.Moira Anderson et al.

We used to have 3 way family favourites on on Sunday lunch time (Later we had Dennis Macarthy) Some people had Beef but we had Dennis.

Other programmes "Listen with Mother" "The World at One" and "The Archers"

We used to listen to the radio most on Sunday lunchtimes (dinnertime!). I remember "Family Favorites", "Around the Horn", and the "Goon Show". There was a bit about Spike Milligan and his influence on British comedy on the radio here a couple of weeks ago. Snippets from the Goon Show still make me laugh!

"You wotten swines, you deaded me"

Micheal Bentine is the one you forgot.

I'm afraid I don't remember any thing before T.V. We got our first in 65, first programme watched ? "The White Heather Club with Robin Hall and Jimmy McGregor" Scotish music and dance usual guests,Andy Stewart, Kenneth McKellar.Moira Anderson et al.

We used to have 3 way family favourites on on Sunday lunch time (Later we had Dennis Macarthy) Some people had Beef but we had Dennis.

Other programmes "Listen with Mother" "The World at One" and "The Archers"

Thanks.

Are yes the world at One (anothers throats) seems like they were the days when BBC current affairs were more objective.

Dave

You're obviously older than me Dave as I was born in '52 - the year of the Coronation.

I do remember listening to the Sunday wireless - 4 way family favorites followed by Jimmy Clitheroe. The smell of Sunday dinner cooking while we all sat around laughing. Then sharing a 1/2 of Merry Maids while we all watched the B + W film in the afternoon. Bliss compared to today. !clapping!

And George Formby and Old Mother Riley. Why don't they repeat these? instead of all the crap we get nowadays?

Back in my box now :(

You're obviously older than me Dave as I was born in '52 - the year of the Coronation.

Am I being pedantic today or what ,but the coronation was in 53. 52 was the year of the death of George 6th

Am I being pedantic today or what ,but the coronation was in 53. 52 was the year of the death of George 6th

Lighten up mate - it's nearly Saturday !englandflag!

Forgot to mention radio Luxembourg, Sunday night with Jimmy Saville

Rog

Yep - carefully tuned in on the "valve" radio in my Austin A35!

Valentine Dyall told horror stories,Al Reed show a great Northern comic,Billy Cotton Band Show,Henry Halls guest night,Mantovani and his orchestra,American forces network.

Yes, Al Reed. "Ah thought riiiiiight monkey!" He was a great guy. Is he still alive?

It was great that these guys could get a laugh without the double meaning that seems to apply to most comedian's routines today.

Dave

Used to listen to Worker's Playtime, Meet the Huggetts, and Wilfred Pickles had a daytime show, with his wife Mabel. 'Wots on the table, Mable?' [prizes] Quatermass used to scare the beejeebers out of me, I hid behind the settee. Guaranteed to give you nightmares.

What about the "Pirate" radio stations - I had an old valve radio in my bedroom, and a long wire out the window to a pole at the bottom of the garden for an aerial. Used to get Radio London pretty well - and sometimes listened to Radio Caroline.

What about the "Pirate" radio stations - I had an old valve radio in my bedroom, and a long wire out the window to a pole at the bottom of the garden for an aerial. Used to get Radio London pretty well - and sometimes listened to Radio Caroline.

Yes, I sure remember those. By then I had a "Pocket sized????" transistor radio. Used to doze off to sleep after a late date listening to one or more of those stations + Luxembourg of course, but that used to be a bit temperamental and would fade in and out depending on weather conditions.

Even though any of the radio shows mentioned were " a bit before my time" as we say, I still enjoy listening to Hancock's Half Hour, Beyond our Ken, Round the Horne , Navy Lark and The Men from the Ministry.

I often listen to them on CD after going to bed instead of reading.

They're still funny even 40 or 50 years after they were made.

BBC Radio comedy has got to be amongst some of the best made, and many of the shows often went on to television fame afterwards. !englandflag! !englandflag!