Well folks, I never thought I'd be telling folks this, start stocking up with bread flour, plain flour and corn oil. Stockpile at least enough to last you a year!

Very shortly, within a few months baked bread will be a rarety in your supermarket. Flour and corn oil will be hard to find and may be rationed as there is a world shortage of grains.

The US is down to just a few days supply right now and it's months to the next harvest!

If I'm wrong, all you'll have is plenty of flour and corn oil you won't have to buy for a while, if I'm right, you'll be thanking me!

Do a google of "food shortages" there are plenty of reliable sources to back me up.

On the same theme of shortages we are on this side of the pond are being told there is a food shortage in the third world because most of the grain that is being produce is being turned into green fuel. At the moment I’m running my diesel Picasso on rape seat oil, the ratio I use isn’t nuclear science it’s a mix of six litres of Asda’s cheapest rape sead oil and fifteen pounds worth of diesel. I have been told that the diesel Asda sells is already a bio-fuel of which they don’t advertise at the pumps.

I shall take on board what you have said John and the next time I visit Asda I shall take with me an extra trolley especially for the oil.

I wonder how many three-litre bottles of oil I can get in an Asda trolley?

Bip.

Do Customs and excise know,

They would do you if they found out?

I beleive the law has changed regarding fuel duty if oil is used in ones diezel vehicle.

Bip.

On the same theme of shortages we are on this side of the pond are being told there is a food shortage in the third world because most of the grain that is being produce is being turned into green fuel. At the moment I’m running my diesel Picasso on rape seat oil, the ratio I use isn’t nuclear science it’s a mix of six litres of Asda’s cheapest rape sead oil and fifteen pounds worth of diesel. I have been told that the diesel Asda sells is already a bio-fuel of which they don’t advertise at the pumps.

I shall take on board what you have said John and the next time I visit Asda I shall take with me an extra trolley especially for the oil.

I wonder how many three-litre bottles of oil I can get in an Asda trolley?

Bip.

I wouldn't worry about rape seed oil (Canola) Den, don't think there will be a shortage of that, corn oil yes.

If I had a diesel road vehicle, I'd be making my own bio diesel and running it for about 25 cents a gallon, quite acceptable over here, just as long as I didn't use off road fossil made diesel oil.

Whats the difference between it and pure veggie oil?? Well it's been refined using sodium hydroxide, (caustic soda) to remove the components that cause problems in the engine with using straight veggie oils.

Yep, one of the major causes of flour shortage is land being turned over to corn growing used in ethanol production, 80% of all corn, (not wheat) is used in ethanol production over here and the irony is, it takes nearly as much fossil fuel per gallon to produce it, so it takes nearly one gallon of fuel to produce one gallon of ethanol. Stupid aint it! BUT, thats politicians, damned stupid!

The benefits are almost zero too, ethanol can damage an engine.

Looks like I'll have to blow the dust of the breadmaking machine that's been lying dormant in the cupboard earmarked for 'must have' gadgets, by the way, the little bags of ready mixed bread work well in these machines, takes all the guess work out of measuring ingredients thumbsup

Looks like I'll have to blow the dust of the breadmaking machine that's been lying dormant in the cupboard earmarked for 'must have' gadgets, by the way, the little bags of ready mixed bread work well in these machines, takes all the guess work out of measuring ingredients thumbsup

I just use a breadmaker to mix the bread dough, allow it to raise and knock it back, then into bread tins, makes a far better loaf when "proved" and baked in a bread tin than baked in the breadmaker.

I measure the water, salt, sugar and flour and estimate the lard, nowt to it!

I used to bake loads of bread the "hard way" a few years back, we'd buy a 25lb sack of bread flour from "Sam's Club" or Cosco's, same lot anyway, that would last us a while. But the fresh bread never lasted long!

Do Customs and excise know,

They would do you if they found out?

You are allowed by law to use 2500 litres of veg oil per year before duty is paid, thing is how do they prove it if youve used more? based on trust I guess.

I run a diesel van but have never tried it, Ive heard all sorts of stories of sealings rings failing and unless its a Bosch fuel pump you are soon in for trouble, a mate of mine has been doing the different ratio's (summer/winter) for over a year, he started buying Aldi sunflower @ 50p a Litre, I think that is now close to a quid a Litre so there doesnt seem to be much of a saving, is it really worth it considering potential engine damage? I would much prefer the French way of reducing fuel pricing but cant see that happening without a backbone, most folk just accept that we are beaten nation.

Making diesel from used cooking oil is relatively easy, BUT, you have to treat it to remove water, acids and other impurities. Certain seals need to be replaced, not sure which on all vehicles, but rubber does perish!

There are many sites showing how, but it doesn't take long to change chipshop oil into high class bio diesel that won't harm your engine. Waste product from the "refining" is glycerine, I'm sure you could make your own soap from that!

Here's a site that will explain further.

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html

I watched a feller who ran a small car, or his wife did, and he ran a small pickup, it took him two hours to make a months supply of diesel, about 100 gallons! He claimed his wifes car was brand new and has never used refinery diesel since first bought a few years back, and she gets better mileage than other people they know who run the same model car on refinery diesel.

His truck was a used one and he has always run it on bio he makes, less oil changes are one benefit, and he had over 200,000 miles on the clock and it starts first time every time, gives him about 30 MPG which is more than it was advertised on with refinery diesel. So there are benefits to it.

I'm seriously looking to start making my own diesel for my tractor, I'll have to look into the seal problem and hose problem before I do.

Looks like the price of Chips is about to rocket...

When the government slams duty on the Veggie Oil!

If they do of which I very much doubt it won't effect me I only buy chips from a chip shop once or twice a year, so there!!!

while on the subject of Veggie oil my Picasso runs sweet on it with a cleaner tail pipe and less black soot deposits which must be good for the enviroment.

Bip.

If they do of which I very much doubt it won't effect me I only buy chips from a chip shop once or twice a year, so there!!!

while on the subject of Veggie oil my Picasso runs sweet on it with a cleaner tail pipe and less black soot deposits which must be good for the enviroment.

Bip.

Diesels will run on used automatic transmission fluid too, but be careful, it is dyed red and your authorities might think you've been using ag fuel.

There is no particulate matter running diesels on pure bio fuels, unlike the amount from fossil distillate, so thats even better for air quality too!

Didnt Rudolf Diesel design the Diesel engine to originally run on peanut oil? he changed to Derv because it was cheaper than the oil back in the day.

I was pulled up on Colwick Loop road in January and they tested my fuel with probes, I said I dont add veg oil or anything, they said no we are only testing for the use of red Diesel Sir...

Didnt Rudolf Diesel design the Diesel engine to originally run on peanut oil?

Correct.

Bip.

Eh! thats an idea, my mate's got a greasy spoon in Sandiacre, I'll give that some serious thought when its 2 quid a Litre in July !jumping!

You might be closer than you think Mickety,what with the strike at Grangemouth oil terminal etc.

Just got back from Cornwall and there was one garage selling diesel at £1.29.9 a litre, unbelievable, I mean how do they stay in business (Morrisons up the road from them was only £1.16.9 a litre)

You might be closer than you think Mickety,what with the strike at Grangemouth oil terminal etc.

Just got back from Cornwall and there was one garage selling diesel at £1.29.9 a litre, unbelievable, I mean how do they stay in business (Morrisons up the road from them was only £1.16.9 a litre)

Asda at Spondon sold out of Diesel Asda Long Eaton Plenty...£115.99p.pl.

Bip.