Computers developed to read people's minds

Computers can tell what we are thinking by analysing patterns of activity in our brains, new research shows.

Thinking of a simple word such as apple creates a unique response in our minds that can be captured by brain scans.

Machines could also soon be able to understand hundreds of complex thoughts, because they can predict what they will look like in our minds, according to researchers at Carnegie Mellon University, in Pittsburgh, whose study is published in the journal Science tomorrow.

The scientists developed a computer system which can accurately forecast what activity patterns will be created in our brains by certain words.

• 1 month later...
Have they got one that can understand the workings of the female brain yet stan?

I understand the workings of the female brain...........and you are in so much trouble......... !laughing!

Have they got one that can understand the workings of the female brain yet stan?

First bloke that does that will become a millionaire

The Answer was forwarded to me by one of our readers...

Have you ever wondered how a woman's brain works?

Well. It's finally explained here in one, easy-to-understand illustration:

C5526923.gifC5526923.gif

C5526923.gifC5526923.gif

C5526923.gifC5526923.gif

C5526923.gifC5526923.gif

(simplified version posted to preserve system resources)

Every one of those little blue balls is a thought about something that needs to be done, a decision or a problem that needs to be solved.

A man has only 2 balls and they take up all his thoughts.

Vey true - how did they get her (the woman) to pose for this without make-up?

LMAO..... you guys are in SSSOOOOOO much trouble. Oh & the comment about 2 balls?........spot on mate....... !laughing!

I understand the workings of the female brain...........and you are in so much trouble......... !laughing!

Don't say I didn't warn you. No nooky for Mick - ever again! !rotfl!

You'd need at least a double to pluck up the courage to kiss one of them

As for that machine....Brilliant .Where's the full version ,I'd love to see it if poss (forward it to me please)

You'd need at least a double to pluck up the courage to kiss one of them

As for that machine....Brilliant .Where's the full version ,I'd love to see it if poss (forward it to me please)

I was kind of hoping that after a double they'd honour their promise............

Actually, while we're on the subject of women.......

Minesadouble.jpg

Better make that a double then..........

Could have been taken at the Ariba Club?

Stan knows where the machine came from?

That machine is facinating and frustrating at the same time

(I thought I recognised Kath)

Women's brains are different from men's – and here's scientific proof

By Michael McCarthy

Friday, 18 July 2008

The differences in the circuitry that wires them up and the chemicals that transmit messages inside them are so great as to point to the conclusion that there is not just one kind of human brain, but two, according to recent neurological studies.

Men may be from Mars and women may be from Venus, and since the American psychotherapist John Gray wrote his famous book, in 1922, on the idea, it has been a commonplace to think of men and women as being from different planets in terms of their emotional responses.

But until recently, these differences were often explained by the action of adult sex hormones, or by social pressures that encouraged males and females to behave in a certain way.

Increasingly, however, these assumptions are being challenged, according to a review of recent neurological research appearing in this week's New Scientist magazine, and it is becoming clear that the brains of men and women show numerous anatomical differences

A guide to the male and female control panels

DECISION MAKING AND PROBLEM SOLVING:

Controlled by the frontal lobe, which is proportionally larger in women.

EMOTIONAL RESPONSE:

Controlled by the limbic cortex, which is also proportionally larger in women.

SPATIAL PERCEPTION:

Controlled by the parietal cortex , which regulates how we move around. Proportionally larger in men.

EMOTIONAL MEMORY:

Controlled by the amygdala, which is proportionally larger in men. When recalling an emotionally charged scene, men enlist its right side, women its left. Men remember the gist of the scene, and women the details.

SUPPRESSION OF PAIN:

Controlled by the periaqueductal grey, an area of grey matter in the mid-brain, known to have a role in the suppression of pain in men but perhaps not in women.

That's exactly what we were saying up at the Cheshire Tavern last night - spooky or what?

We came to the conclusion that a woman will reach a decision quickly, because of her larger frontal lobe, but that the decision will be based on her emotional state because of the size of her limbic cortex.

As a result, if some pending disaster is being discussed in the boradroom, then a woman will immediately realise that the colour of the room needs to be changed. A man on the other hand will resist this obvious action, look at the situation objectively and tackle the problem itself. :smile:

Just had 1/2 hour on it Mick, I beat it twice (It beat me 4 or 5 times)

• 1 month later...

The Answer to trying to understand women is.............

to give up trying to understand them :D

besides, all women know that men can only hold one thought at a time for @10 seconds, so with sex, football and beer, why complicate matters, just give in to the fact that women are always right, and life will run much smoother for you guys and you can get on with thinking about the off-side rule ;) xx