OK, it's more than likely been covered before but what the heck, I'm now going into my fourth month without a smoke, gone from 20 Marlboro a day to none without the aid of patches, dummy fags etc, not been easy and I don't feel any fitter yet, but the financial benefit is really beginning to show, I'm £5.60 a day better off.

Sorry to bore you all with that but I just wanted to tell the world

Rog

OK, it's more than likely been covered before but what the heck, I'm now going into my fourth month without a smoke, gone from 20 Marlboro a day to none without the aid of patches, dummy fags etc, not been easy and I don't feel any fitter yet, but the financial benefit is really beginning to show, I'm £5.60 a day better off.

Sorry to bore you all with that but I just wanted to tell the world

Rog

Good for you... I gave them up 3 years ago and apart from one drunken slip up [which I failed to remember -friend reminded me] haven't touched one since. It wasn't easy at first but if you REALLY want to stop you can. O nly trouble is from being a little size 10 I am now in a 14 and hate it. So I guess smoking has its good points! To be honest I feel no fitter [praps due to weight gain] . But my dad died at 61, smoked all his life and died from a brain bleed which they say is possibly from hardened arteries due to smoking - I have no intention of dying in my 60s!!!!

Great Roger, threw the habit over 30 years ago just before I went to work in North Yorks. It's not easy and I will tell you, even now I still get an urge to have one, but it soon passes. Luckily I'm not near any shops when the urge comes on!! Seriously though, I couldn't yield to the urge anyway, I've become allergic to tobacco smoke now, chances are it would kill me if I gave in to the urge.

Well done plantfit, I know it's not easy because I've been down that route - like Mariag I've been smoke free for three plus years and like her I also put on weight (a couple of stone) due to an increased appetite for biscuits! Apart from the patches and inhalers, one thing I found that also helped was to have a glass of water whenever the urge hit.

I have no intention of dying in my 60s!!!!

If only ones lifespan was that predictable..........mariag

Well done rog keep it up mate I quite six years ago after years of struggling......

Bip.

Hi All,

Thanks for the support, I think support from friends is more useful than patches etc. I have put on about 1/2 stone though I'm not eating any more, at the side of my computer desk is about 40 top quality cigars that my daughter bought me back from Cuba and I've not even considered touching them so hopefully the cravings are beginning to wane.

Once again thanks for the support and good luck to any one wanting to pack it in

Rog

Well done Rog...

My last cigarette was in the school playground during the Spring of 1958...nevertheless I can imagine how difficult it must be for a long-term smoker to renounce.

Frankly, the only time I've been tempted to light Fag No 2 was recently, on the emergence of the Tobacco Taleban who are right there in the first third of my signature below. An obnoxious neighbour of mine being the classic example - he condemns all those who smoke, whilst revelling in his role as Bingham's No 1 drunk-driver!

Cheers

Robt P.

BTW Rog: Yet to get the requisite vehicle for our projected trip...watch this space...

Hi All,

Thanks for the support, I think support from friends is more useful than patches etc. I have put on about 1/2 stone though I'm not eating any more, at the side of my computer desk is about 40 top quality cigars that my daughter bought me back from Cuba and I've not even considered touching them so hopefully the cravings are beginning to wane.

Once again thanks for the support and good luck to any one wanting to pack it in

Rog

Save the "Stogies" for my visit Rog

Love to be able to help you Rog, but I packed up in 90 after smoking for nearly 18 years (Didn't bother me in the slightest)and had a relapse in 96, never been able to get off the cigars properly since then, (although if I don't have a glass of sherbert it does not bother me ) But 1 drink and thats it !!

Save the "Stogies" for my visit Rog

Love to be able to help you Rog, but I packed up in 90 after smoking for nearly 18 years (Didn't bother me in the slightest)and had a relapse in 96, never been able to get off the cigars properly since then, (although if I don't have a glass of sherbert it does not bother me ) But 1 drink and thats it !!

That was my problem, every time I went for a drink and that was often I would order a pint and a cigar and this was with every pint I drank so over a night it could be six pints and six cigars.

I finally shuck the habit by patches not after trying Snuff and roll ups.

Bip.

Well done and I hope that you can manage to spurn the advances of the temptress weed, I was seriously considering giving it up myself about 18 months ago after I'd had a pretty big op on a brain tumour, but when this goverment decided when and where I could spark up I was even more determined not to ! I'll do it when I'm ready and not when I'm ordered to by a dictator !

Best of luck in your endeavor .

Well done Rog. I quit 7 years ago and put the cig money £30 a week into a bank account, before i knew it there was £1,700 in there. Hope this gives you and anyone else some incentive.

!clapping!

Den.