Hello all,

I stumbled across the forum whilst trying to research our pub in Sherwood – the Robin Hood.

We took over in July 2007 and are very keen to gather information and images of the pub over the years.

As part of our refurb I have already sourced a fair collection of photos of the Mansfield Road and Sherwood area and have even created a pictorial history of the Goose Fair from it’s time in Market Square to it’s move to Forest Fields. All this has proved to be of great interest to customers new and old.

I have, unfortunately, only managed to secure one image of the pub from the turn of the century and it is now hanging in the lounge bar.

What I really want is any tit-bits of history, anecdotes, images etc of the pub over the years so I can write our own pub history. An old disclaimer sign in the car park indicates that the pub was once the property of the now defunct Home Brewery but that is as far as I have got.

So any help at all in compiling this social history would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jools

Saw your email domain this morning (EST) Jools.

Welcome.

I am sure you will get some info from the regulars here.

Would be a good idea to put this in your signature.

http://robinhoodpubonline.com/

Oh Yes

Can you get some 'Harvest Pale' in?

Ayup to you Jools I only ever went in there once. to see an old girlfriend who worked there , so this mine of useless information can't help sorry!

Hi guys.

Thanks for the heads up on the sig mick2me.

Sadly we are tied so no Harvest Pale I'm afraid until we have a real ale fest & then I'm sure we'll have some in.

Would it be ok to put a link back to the site on our website?

and Beefsteak, that old girlfriend wasn't Pat was it, as i know she's been working at the Robin for 25 years :-)

Sadly we are tied so no Harvest Pale I'm afraid

I think you might find Dennis has something to say on this subject!

Would it be ok to put a link back to the site on our website?

That would be very nice. !cheers!

Regarding your sig Google is always with us,including your site here would put up your Google ratings also.

Hi guys.

Sadly we are tied so no Harvest Pale I'm afraid until we have a real ale fest & then I'm sure we'll have some in.

No Harvest Pale no me in your Establishment.

Bip.

Hi Jools,

Good choice and nice pub - not a regular (blame the kids!) but I class it as my local as I live fairly close to it.

A local guy, Terry Fry, wrote a book on The History of Sherwood - there's a whole chapter on the pubs but it concentrates on the Sherwood Inn which is associated with a local family, the Wilkinsons. You can get it at Blores bookshop which is about 5 minutes away - turn left out of your main entrance and walk up Mansfield Road.

If you can't get a copy, I can loan you mine.

Sounds like a good place for a future meet up (As long as it's a beerfest and they have the H.P.)

Hi zab,

thank you for the info & comments, will pop into Geoffs shop and see what he has in there. Shows my brain is slightly frazzled these days as I walk past there nearly every day & didn't even think of it.

I used the picture the past site earlier in the year to source some of the photos we already have up on the walls....some great images on there.

I did discover yesterday evening that there used to be a skittle alley in what is now the pool room and kitchen. Such a shame it isn't still there as I would have loved it!

Sorry I can't help with any info on the pub - I moved from Arnold before I was old enough to frequent such places - but I will say you have a great web site and I will be sure to drop in for food and beer next time I am visiting the homeland!

As to not having HP - the "Real Ales" list looks comprehensive enough that even Den could find something to his liking! I know for a fact that he does drink stuff other than HP from time-to-time! ;)

• 6 months later...

He can advertise as much as he likes while selling HP, I hope though it’s not being sold at an extortionate price.

Its unbelievable how popular it is, fancy it only was brewed in the first place to celebrate the opening of the new tramways in Nottingham originally called “Trammy Dodger made with larger malts.

Bip..

"Advertising" you say?

Pubs that sell HP dont need to advertise?

Anyway it was a response to your question about his sale of the said liquor.

Nah What abaaht Elsi Mo?

I was given by a very kind landlord a black T shirt with the Elsie Mo logo on it needless to say I still treasure it to this day...wore it the other night in the club [Thursday] and got one or two enquires regarding the Elsie Mo logo...lets hope a commitee member read what it said and they take the hint that i would like a castle rock beer on the bar..

Bip.

Bins cleaned, Patios decking washed, Gutters cleaned, Fences erected, Grass cut, Painting and decorating.

A good allrounder then......RU Polish? !laughing!