Sorry, this is totally unrelated, but I've got to start somewhere..................

Doe's anyone out there remember Gabby,'Dusty' French, Mondo Caine? about 66/67 at the Dungeon !englandflag!

I certainly do remember Gabby! Do you remember that suit he had, at the height of bottle green and massive vents, he had one with a 3/4 length jacket, that looked like something from the Victorian era!

Dusty I knew by sight, but as for Mondo, I see him about once a month on the soul and Motown nights im involved with, id be willing to bet, if his history of attendance is anything to go by, thet he'll be there at The Westgate Suites, West Gate in Long Eaton, next Friday night (30th)

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly do remember Gabby! Do you remember that suit he had, at the height of bottle green and massive vents, he had one with a 3/4 length jacket, that looked like something from the Victorian era!

Dusty I knew by sight, but as for Mondo, I see him about once a month on the soul and Motown nights im involved with, id be willing to bet, if his history of attendance is anything to go by, thet he'll be there at The Westgate Suites, West Gate in Long Eaton, next Friday night (30th)

I remember Gabby buying a 'mustard' colour 3/4 length suit, made of thick 'flannelette' type fabric, we all called it his 'horse blanket' .

He had come in to the Dungeon one Sunday PM, after having been caught in the heavy rain, the suit was soaking wet & the jacket was very heavy................it steamed whilst drying out, that was the reason for the 'horse blanket' tag..........

Does Mondo still dance???????? great dancer he was.............used to clear the floor to watch him

Thats the suit Paulus! I remember the Sundays there, although I cant recall the exact times, afternoon to early evenings wasnt it? Or was that just for the all dayers that were held there? (Thats when I first went, but on Easter Monday 66)

And a lot of people that had been up to The Mojo, when Mr Stringfellow had it, would arrive, having been up all night, and still fresh as a daisy!......cant think how, can you!!!???

Re Mondo dancing, in all honesty, I havent seen him do much apart from have a drink or two, possibly because I was always in the non Motown room at Ilkeston, and weve only had one doo so far at The Westgate Suites in Long Eaton, dont forget the first proper one is this Friday!

Thats the suit Paulus! I remember the Sundays there, although I cant recall the exact times, afternoon to early evenings wasnt it? Or was that just for the all dayers that were held there? (Thats when I first went, but on Easter Monday 66)

And a lot of people that had been up to The Mojo, when Mr Stringfellow had it, would arrive, having been up all night, and still fresh as a daisy!......cant think how, can you!!!???

Re Mondo dancing, in all honesty, I havent seen him do much apart from have a drink or two, possibly because I was always in the non Motown room at Ilkeston, and weve only had one doo so far at The Westgate Suites in Long Eaton, dont forget the first proper one is this Friday!

Many hazy memories of the Dungeon, including all nighters..............we used to go and have a drink in the Sawyers (not old enough of course, naughty boys!!) then go in to the club avoiding big Terry?? on the door, if he smelled booze you were out!!

There was a few of us from Aspley, Strelley & Broxtowe;

Gabby, Rob Sedgewick, Dave Pritchett, Mick Archer, George Wynne, Kevin & Keith Reynolds + loads more............

I also recall a black minivan with yellow stripe front to back? guy called Kenny Astell??

PS; How do I get rid of the previous answer from whoever I'm replying to??? Bear with me I'm new to this.............

PS; How do I get rid of the previous answer from whoever I'm replying to??? Bear with me I'm new to this.............

If you use the 'reply ' button it quotes what the last person said.....if you just wanna say something use the ' fast reply ' button a little lower down

Many hazy memories of the Dungeon, including all nighters..............we used to go and have a drink in the Sawyers (not old enough of course, naughty boys!!) then go in to the club avoiding big Terry?? on the door, if he smelled booze you were out!!

There was a few of us from Aspley, Strelley & Broxtowe;

Gabby, Rob Sedgewick, Dave Pritchett, Mick Archer, George Wynne, Kevin & Keith Reynolds + loads more............

I also recall a black minivan with yellow stripe front to back? guy called Kenny Astell??

So, is the Rob Sedgewick you refer to, the one known as Sedge? cos I assumed it was something to do with the metal "sedges" a lot of us, including Sedge, put on the brogues we got from Wakefields!"!!

And as for Kennys mini, it wasnt as you describe, it was either grey, or a very pale green, (grey I actually recall) with a yellow "E" on the back door, which we were all told stood for free love, which was made up of F and L...join those together, and you had an E.

As I mention elsewher a while back, when I was on Century FM, I got invited by a guy who called my show regularly, to go and join him for a pint, at The Fox in Sneinton, and there in the crowd was indeed Kenny Astle, not having changed that much, just older looking.

I also cut my drinking teeth in The Sawyers, it was very near, if not on the spot to where HMV is now sited, at the bottom of Wheeler Gate, possibly higher up. I recall it being a Berni Inn? Never had a problem with Terry Flynn on the door though, even after having a whole pint, ( a big thing for a 14 year old!) either at The Sawyers, or The Royal Kids, or maybe The Trip!

Quite a fascinating read this one.

A very good friend of mine, still is and always was, a lovely bloke, was obsessed with the Dungeon to the extent that it took over his life, reading some of the comments on here, I can see why.

Thing is, he had a serious accident on his scooter that nearly killed him. As school mates, we regularly went to see him in hospital, do you know what, not one of his so called big pals from the Dungeon ever bothered to get in touch to see how he was getting on, he never went back there again after he recovered.

I recognise quite a few names off here, and others not mentioned, some were right arrogant, aggresive, unpleasant gits, some used to take delight in going to local discos and causing fights for no reason but the fact that they went to the Dungeon and anyone who didn't go was a sad tosser, yes, not everyone was like that, but I knew quite a few that were.

I recall the mini van gits that used to enjoy wrecking the Wollaton 'Wednesday Club' why? vanity, fun, yeah right. I also recall the mini van nasty piece of work that drove around with a shotgun in the back, I know his name, but I won't mention it as he's probably a youth worker now.

I recall when Stu Morris took up karate, my pal who was a member of the same club, was concerned that he had too much aggresion and had a serious attitude problem. I crossed him once, I wasn't impressed.

Take the p1$$ if you like, but I see rose coloured spectacles here.

• Upvote 1

Craig,

Sedge was the nickname for Rob, he was (and probably still is, God willing) a vertically challenged guy with a shock of 'frizzy' hair, great little dancer, great mate............

Firbeck,

The Dungeon was always a place where young people from all over Notts could congregate, at reasonable cost, most not aware of another persons background etc away from the Dungeon, it therefore stands to reason that some people would indeed turn out to be arrogant, aggresive, & unpleasant, but these were in the minority.

That surely does not mean that the main attractions of the Dungeon; music, artists & the interesting people who were members should be forgotten, it takes all sorts......................

If you can't look back on your youth with 'rose tinted specs', perhaps better not to look back at all, or comment cynically about other peoples memories...........this site's all about nostalgia, or has one of us missed the point????????????

The Mods and Rockers section seems to be getting a lot of Dungeon related threads, so Ill ask this here as well, Dungeon opening days, my recollection is, Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat ( normal and all nighters) and Sunday for all dayers, correct me, or add info please.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

abouttime

Just to let you know Paulus I was with Mondo and Shelia his missus at the Shed in Beeston friday 10th. Yes brill dancer. Dancer no more because bad back,more like old age.Still I do the dancing but not as good has Mondo. Want all these about the Mini Boy's being naughty. Never had a problem with them. In fact play golf with Tassi ex mini boy. Stu Morris in hospital recouping after having a new knee put in last week.Hope everything goes well with his physio when he get discharged. My youth was spent down at the Dungeon until it closed down then had to travel far afield to the Twisted Wheel, Tin Chicken , Mojo , Cloud's ,Catcoombs , the Torch , Cinderilla at Leeds. Got my MOHAIR SUITS made in Leeds, used to buy material on the market then pay £20 to get made to measure suit done. Had twelve suits at one time . Those were the day's

had a drink with Keith reynolds and Graham at the Westgate Suites in January. isitsafe

!jumping! Hi Jan,

I probably went to the Dungeon same years as you, 66/67? , if you know Messrs Reynolds......I lived on Aspley Lane, so knew Keith, Graham & Kevin....Sorry to hear that Mondo's not dancing nowadays, must be frustrating for him.

Hope Stu makes a speedy recovery, also quite a character!! I didn't know anyone that young with a bald head then.....certainly a novelty!!

As I've said previously, the Dungeon was a great place (cheap & cheerful) with all the great artists of the time (including 3 different sets of Drifters!!), remember seeing: Inez & Charlie Fox, Jimmy Cliff, & lots more.......and the amazing (at the time) Mr Peter Stringfellow, with his special brand of music presentation........great days, great memories, keep the faith!! Do you remember Pete Blood & Manfred? !jumping!

imback

HI Paulus. Yes great days. yes I know Pete Blood, good mates with Dusty. Such a good mate that he hit Dusty with a house brick behind the ear for being late. Thats Pete ???.pete used to come to my pub to see me before his accident and a couple of times in his wheelchair. Manfred...went to the same School St.Bernardette's on Snienton Dale.he was a year above me. went to the wheel with him,Cog ,Stu Morris and our driver Trevor. It ended up with a row with the scousers. Couple of years later Trevor the driver who used to be the landlord of the pub across the road from Scampies,forget the name. shot a taxi driver with a shotgun then wrapped it up in newspaper with his pub name on..Got locked up .taxi driver lived, thank god. Going back to Dusty see him once a week, I was his best man In 1971 and stu morris.Did it for free.

Still going to soul venues while the legs keep going. Still love listening to the music.

isitsafe

KEEP ON KEEPING ON

Hi Jan..I also went to St. Bernadettes...left in July 64 a couple of days after my 15th birthday.

pete c....still riding a vespa

Hi Pete ,you sound like a good Catholic boy. I left in 1966 cos they made it compulsive. MR Casey must have been your headmaster then, you must have been in the same year as the Mullvaign's. Brian and Trevor.

Remembered the pub in my last post, The Wilberforce Tavern oppersite the Penny Farthing / Scamps near the Gaumont picture house. isitsafe:dancing N:

KEEP ON KEEPING ON