Pop concerts at the Odeon cinema.

Good afternoon all. Anyone remember the package tours that used to come to the Odeon cinema? In the early to mid sixties I saw many popular groups there including, Roy Orbison, The searches, Brian poole and the tremeloes, Swinging blue jeans etc. The one that I really sticks in my mind was Ray Charles, he was superb.

When you went to see the 'beat groups' you could never hear very much because of the continual screaming! I also went to see Tom Paxton at the Albert hall. Another memorable gig was John Lee Hooker at the co-op elizabethan rooms on the top floor of the big store on parliament street. I went to see Sonny boy williamson at the dungeon, I know he used the undertakers as his backing group but I cannot remember the year.

It would be nice to share other peoples memories of these gigs.

Cheers, Johnl.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was there too..can remember the applejacks and the honeycombs ( with the girl drummer ) and having a coffee with them before the show at the wimpy bar on maid marian way..saw so many acts at the odeon..this was before i was old enough to go to the beachcomber, boat clubs etc !!! always loved my live music and still do!

Thanks for the memories of the Ballroom upstairs at Coop House.

Saw Russ Abbotts and the Black abbotts there Early 70's

Didn't The Beatles appear at the Odeon, around 1963?

Thanks for the memories of the Ballroom upstairs at Coop House.

Saw Russ Abbotts and the Black abbotts there Early 70's

Didn't The Beatles appear at the Odeon, around 1963?

Yes they did appear there, not sure if it was 1963 but I remember it was bitterly cold! We couldn't get tickets so like idiots we hung around outside. There were hundreds of people at the back of the Odeon. I can remember striking matches to feep my hands warm! Whilst I'm on....went to see The Graham Bond organisation at the boat club. They were incredible and had Ginger Baker on drums at the time. Poor old Graham commited suicide some years later. He threw himself under a tube train. Towards the end I think he suffered from delusions, at one point he declared himself to be the grand wizard of all England!

Cheers Johnl.

most memorable gig at the dungeon was the steam packet ( long john, rod stewart and julie driscoll) and at the coop Garnet Mims!...best ever gig in nottingham Hendrix at the beachcomber..happy days John

Never saw Jimi, he played the Sherwood rooms as well. He really was something else wasn't he? Still listen to his stuff regularly.

i was there too..can remember the applejacks and the honeycombs ( with the girl drummer ) and having a coffee with them before the show at the wimpy bar on maid marian way..saw so many acts at the odeon..this was before i was old enough to go to the beachcomber, boat clubs etc !!! always loved my live music and still do!

By the way the Applejacks drummer was Honey Langtree. (Useless piece of trivia!)

By the way the Applejacks drummer was Honey Langtree. (Useless piece of trivia!)

Sorry - it was the "Honeycombs".

The Applejacks had a lady Bass player.

(What year is the Midget?)

Hi Limey, yes you're right! Just shows you how the old memory plays tricks! The midget is 1977. It has the Triumph engine which I don't like as much as the A series. I guess that you're A MG enthusiast from the pics. I had a '66 BGT some years ago, I think that was one of the first ones, wire wheels and huge steering wheel. A very nice car to drive. It went when the kids came along. Rplaced it with a Cortina GT. OK but not what I call a sports car.

Cheers, john.

Interesting one.

The lead singer and harmonica player of the Honeycombs was Dennis D'Ell. Prior to me moving to Braintree 18 months ago I lived in a very pretty but isolated Essex village called Finchingfield. Dennis lived in a flat in the old Guildhall and his brother Lol lived just along the road from me.

They had a very good local pub band called Den and Dell that regularly played in the local pubs, The Red Lion in particular.

We used to have some great discussions at the bar, about the Honeycombs, life the Universe and everythng, they really were great people. a bit dodgy, knew how to work the system, but loveable all the same.

Poor Dennis died of cancer 3 years ago, he was a lovely bloke, did you know that he once stood in with Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band during a US tour, he told me it was the best thing he ever did, happened by chance during a backstage conversation with the man himself.

The Beatles were due to appear at the Odeon and my cousin, the ultimate fan, arranged to meet me to buy a ticket.

When I got there, the qeue was about 2 miles long, I gave up and didn't bother.

Meanwhile, on the night of their appearance, my mates old man, a traffic copper, was given instructions to meet a van on the Ollerton A-1 roundabout.

Arriving at high speed, he was told to get inside the van and look after the occupants, yes you've guessed it, it was the Fab Four. When I wandered round the next day to see my mate, I had these autographs waved in front of my face, written on police paper. He sat in there with them all the way to the Odeon and reckoned it was one of the best experiences he ever had, he said that they were so incredibly clever and amusing, particularly Lennon, that he felt ashamed at initially considering the operation as just being a baby sitting exercise with morons.

Interesting one.

The lead singer and harmonica player of the Honeycombs was Dennis D'Ell. Prior to me moving to Braintree 18 months ago I lived in a very pretty but isolated Essex village called Finchingfield. Dennis lived in a flat in the old Guildhall and his brother Lol lived just along the road from me.

Hi Firbeck,

Nothing to do with the topic, but do you by any chance know my cousins, John and Jenny Kelly, they live in Finchingfield, The Green?

Regards.

Nothing to do with the topic, but do you by any chance know my cousins, John and Jenny Kelly, they live in Finchingfield, The Green?

Regards.

Well. well.

I know John very well as he is a customer of mine. I've done some work at John's house in Finchinfield (Pr**pe*t House) , London office and Nottingham office also.

Small world eh?

Bloody hell, how wierd, no I don't know them personally, maybe by sight. My association with the village and all it's intricancies dissolved a while ago when all the real people dissapeared, the kids grew up and it became an expensive pain in the bum to live there, full of people emigrating from the London suburbs who wanted to live the village life but in reality were destroying it.

It was fantastic 20 years ago when the old boys were about, I took a major part in village life, involved in the school, fete, cricket team, everything going, but it started to become a bloody London suburb, full of dickheads, we had to leave, it became unbearable.

People are astonished that we should have left such a place, but we are happier living in a proper town, occupied by real people, whatever their faults, Finchingfield immigrants don't think they have any, they are welcome to their little enclave, go back and it's like Groundhog Day.

• 2 weeks later...

“Back in the day” makes us sound old !!!!

Talking of Cafes & in the 60’s thread, we used to go to a café on Clumber Street (The Pepper Pot I think). A lot of us would just have a bowl of mixed salad. There was a flavour there that I’ve never been able to replicate. I can’t even remember what the taste was,,, but it just made that salad. Don’t s’pose anyone on here worked there in the mid 60’s ?

We’d often pop in there before going off to Matlock Bath for the weekend.

Remember the Trogs and the Nomads (nah,,,, not pop bands !) ?

went to don juan,,,, and Jules et Jim.

also used - was it the Belvedere Club ! Late drinking establishment (they also sold bowls of mushy peas) & some rough rough cider !

On my last stay up there I used the Ad Lib a lot.

Never knew 'Such's real name - but he used to answer to Dave (amongst others) - as in David Such.

The real Such came to Matlock a couple of times,,,, but I don't think they got together.

Happy Happy Days

Belvedere Club THANKS

I have been trying to think of that upstairs club, above the Windmill Pub?

Weekday Cross? Kicked in Juke Box and cheap bowl of Curry