ITOM piccy wanted

In about 1964 I did a three-way-swap for motorbikes.

I had a Thunderbird (with chair). Chap 2 had a 400 Norton. Chap 3 had a Racing ITOM. I got the Itom,,,, but never got a picture of it.

Long shot No 1: Are any of you lot - chaps 2 &/or 3 ?

Long shot No 2: Does anyone know of this swap or the Itom bike ?

Long shot No 3: Does anyone know where I might be able to get a picture of it (or very similar bike) ?

I was told that it held a Lap Speed record at Snetterton. Have e-mailed & written to them – no replies.

It had a Notts plate on it. When I took it for an MoT on Sneinton Boulevard,,,, they just laughed at me. No lights,,,, no hooter,,,, no brake light,,,, no speedo etc Can't understand their problem !!!

I missed my chance down here – as I met a guy (another Barry) that used to race that very bike,,,,,

After all this I got a Lambretta - mind you I used to ride that just like I did the real bikes,,,,, couldn't hang on to the running boards,,, as they kept wearing away on cornering !

Baz

hi bazzer. Talking about bikes can you remember the Dresda Triumph that my hubby (pete thraves brother) had in the late60s early 70s? He told me to ask you as you used to hang your nose over it. Wish he still had it now. Chrissy. x

Hi Chrissy,

I'm sorry I can't,,,, where did he live at the time ?

I started courting in 66/67 & went up to 4 wheels.

Got Wed in 68 & tended to 'slow down' a bit then (!?!?).

After my disastrous first car (Riley Pathfinder - ex police car - so not that slow !) I bought a Mk1 Consul,,,, it had a wing mirror missing,,,, so I put a wash-hand basin tap in the hole.

I got took to Court - & fined - for it !

Did Pete say anything about my mum & dad ?

Baz

Re MOT for the itom, a bike would pass an MOT with no lights, (trails bikes for example) same with brake lights? only if fitted need they work correctly , surprisingly the horn was not subject to mot test, 50cc bikes as in raliegh runabout etc didn't need speedo either, different matter now but late 1960's that was the case, depends on the shop? some would pass a pram so long as they got the fee! After seeing Easy Rider I built a chopper, knew I'd get stopped on it so made sure dead legal, (I'd say 90% of all motorbike exhaust systems are illegal these days) in the event I never did! only when it got pinched and thankfully recovered with no damage did police query fact it had NO silencers but after starting up said "oh it's not bad"

Thanks folks.

BIP: I hadn’t seen that - thanks. I can’t make my mind up what model mine was from that tho’.

It was a full race machine,,,, so it might have started out as just about anything ! I got it in ’64, so I guess its racing days were over by then !

It was 50cc with 3 gears & foot change. Full fairing & very angular (GRP I think) tank.

Foot rests were only about 2” long,,,,,, so I ruined many a pair of shoes when cornering,,, almost took the skin off my elbows at times also – boy did it corner well !

ASHLEY: coo,,,, I wish I’d know that at the time. As it was super-tuned, it wouldn’t run with a silencer on it. It had to use an expansion chamber. My local plod would stop me now & then because of the noise (how much noise can a 50cc make ?), but they couldn’t accept the silencer/chamber routine.

Fully comp insurance was 19/6 !

Baz

hi bazzer. Alan used to go to pete and joys on shelford road on the dresda about 1970. they said they did know about your mum and dad,they seen it in the paper but they didnt know an address or they would have sent a card. x

Ayup Bazzer,

Ashley is right Andy Bone on Arkwright street just before the railway bridge was the main agent for Itom, they moved to the top of Huntingdon street after the meadows but closed down in the late 80s early 90s, I think Des Bone is still about but not sure how to get hold of him, I will ask my brother in law as he used to knock about with him

Rog

Cheers folks,,,,

Chrisie: Thanks for that. Sorry, I don’t recall the bike I’m afraid,,,,,, and I left home at about 17,,, so didn’t spend a lot of time at Newton Road. Then I moved down here in Aug 1970.

Thanks for letting me know about Pete & Joy. Card ? No probs. Both funerals were very tiny affairs - neither wanted a service at all - & were cremated.

Plantfit: Yep, I knew about Andy Bone,,, I think I visited the shop a one point. It would be great if Des had a picture that I could copy.

Do you think it might be worth my putting a post on here asking for him ?

Thanks again

Baz

• 3 years later...

Mate of mine bought a racing Itom in the mid/late sixties -- seem to remember he bought it from Andy Bone's ----Orange and black springs to mind.

Coincidentally, I bought my H/D FXR from Andy Bones -- 1991 - still got it !

just reread the posts, see you mention "another Barry with an itom" his name wasn't Sheen was it? lol IIRC he raced one and later won a 50cc world championship, not on an itom though, also the foot gears, my mates was I think 3 speed twist grip change type?