When I was a kid, I had an aunt who worked at the Pikelet factory. She lived up Windmill Lane, so most likely the factory was within a short distance from her. I remember it was seasonal work and she'd get laid off in the off season. I always thought this was funny, that there was a season for pikelets, like grouse shooting or something! Anyone else heard of this? Of course nowadays all foods seem to be year round, but perhaps it was a winter foodstuff in the 50's?

My missus loves them with butter and lathered in Bovril!

When I was a kid, I had an aunt who worked at the Pikelet factory. She lived up Windmill Lane, so most likely the factory was within a short distance from her. I remember it was seasonal work and she'd get laid off in the off season. I always thought this was funny, that there was a season for pikelets, like grouse shooting or something! Anyone else heard of this? Of course nowadays all foods seem to be year round, but perhaps it was a winter foodstuff in the 50's?

coooo, Windmill Lane eh. I was born on Walker Street then moved to Elford Rise (I had to - thats where my parents went to). I think most of my aunties lived on some part of Windmill Lane (we used to shop at Billy Glossops).

Pikelets,,,, loved 'em. I still occasionally (very - self control) get the supermarket ones,,,,, but they arn't the same,,, it may be cos I grill 'em under a grill or in the toaster eh ? Some people called 'em Crumpets,,,,,, but that's another story !

Incy dentally, I've only just learned that Pork Farms own shops no longer exist ! Please don't tell me that you can no longer buy a proper Pork Farms pork pie in a proper pork pie shop ????

My mum & dad would always bring me an "Easter Egg" - which was a bit heavy for a bit of chocolate - the obligitory Pork Farms Pie.

It's breaking my heart,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

...we used to shop at Billy Glossops...

Now THAT brought back memories!

I had an uncle in Eastwood who swore by Billy Glossops - he would go there just before Christmas and buy boxes of apples and oranges. I remember once my dad took him in our car - and I went along. I can still remember the smell of the shop.

I have been trying to remember the name of the shop for years - then it pops up here - AMAZING!

The reason for the Sneinton connection is that my Grandmother owned a newsagents on St. Stephens Road - and many of my relatives on my mother's side worked in it from time-to-time.

Thanks Bazzer!

The reason for the Sneinton connection is that my Grandmother owned a newsagents on St. Stephens Road - and many of my relatives on my mother's side worked in it from time-to-time.

My Dads mum lived on Lees Hill Street & his Aunt lived on St Stephens.

There was an allyway from both houses that used to take them to an off-licence (I guess on/near Manor Road)

Whenever we visited - One of them would trundle up there with the big old jug, for hand pumped beer,,,,,,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Strangely enough, not long before I lost mum & dad, I had a dream about a shop on Lees Hill Street,,,,, but my dad said there never was one.

In my dream the shop was on the bottom side of the street, just below the bend,,,,, overlooking the main road,,,, & I'm sure there were a set of steps running down to the road.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A bit deeper now - does anyone belive in inherited memories/dreams ? In fact - i'll start a new post on this.