Which Wireless router

I tend to go for D-link products that produce routers for both BT and cable lines - I suspect the bit you're interested in is Wireless G ADSL2+ - the ADSL2+ means it should be compatible with the next upgrade of ADSL.

There's a good review of routers here -

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/reviews.html

802.11g technology provides you with networking speeds nearly five times faster than the current Wi-Fi (802.11b) standard.

802.11g 2.4GHz standard offers you up to 400 feet of wireless coverage. 802.11g technology is backward compatible with the 802.11b.

Roughly translated it means the wireless cover is faster and goes further BUT you have to have a G comatable wirless card in your laptop/PC to take anvantage of the benefits although it will work with older kit but not at the higher speeds. You can use it with either cable broadband (Virgin, ntl etc) or adsl (down the phone line, tiscali BT etc). You need different equipment but the wireless bit of the network comes after the broadband gets to your house. It sends the broadband signal however you get it out on the airwaves. I dont think I'll bother as the computer is faster than my brain and 5 times faster will be lost on me. I still miss dial up. Oh the excitment waiting for a dowload and no one could ring you. Happy days

• 4 weeks later...

I use Linksys stuff and am pretty happy with it. The only router I have had trouble with was Netgear.

However, you are talking two different issues here. A router doesn't care what kind of internet access you have - it works on the LAN, not the WAN (local, not wide area). You must have some kind of modem - either a cable modem if you have cable internet access, or an ADSL modem if you go through the phone line. It is possible to buy a wireless modem/router that hooks straight to your phone or cable - but you will have to contact your ISP to make it work - they need to know it's identifier. Some suppliers won't let you use your own modem, others will.

Pretty much all wireless systems are backwards compatible to 802.11b protocol - the latest (and greatest?) is 802.11g - which is supposedly faster, etc. We just upgraded to a .11g unit at home and it does seem faster and less lockup-prone - it also seems to have better range.

Make sure you turn on one of the protection systems when you use wireless - at the least others could get free internet access through your unsecured wireless, at worst they can access your computer!

Limey, according to the guys at PC World, whilst someone can "piggy back" off your broadband, they cannot access your computer.

As for the router, I use a Belkin G device, (Im on Virgin) and is fine for most things, however, if you live in a large house, possibly with thick walls, it may have trouble streaming, especially (as in my case) the router is sited upstairs, and you use your pc downstairs .Another thing to consider, is if you wish to stream music stored in a "network attached storage" device, attached by cable to the router, but streaming wirelessly to downstairs, you may need an "N" router, which arent that much dearer than a "G"

I wish I hadnt been such a skinflint when I bought the "G" as I now need the "N"but it will now cost me twice as much!!

LETSAVAGOO:

Hiya mate,

You seem to know a bit about Wireless B.B etc & I would appreciate it if you could offer some advice here please>

I'm on BT BB (& have to stay with 'em for another 12m yet) with my All WIRED Desktop kit.

Am not bothered about Wireless peripherals,,,, but if I want to go Wireless B.B - what would the best router be ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once I'm there, I want a remote - wireless - external HDD. What else would I need ?

I'm just about to get a Laptop, so it will all be compatible at some point,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If you prefer to PM or E-mail, be my guest.

all the best

Baz