The 46 Best-ever Freeware Utilities

From Gizmo's Top Picks of the Best Utilities and Tech Resources

see Best Free Adware/Spyware/Scumware Remover

Anything that says NORTON is now Symantic!

and as invasive as the stuff it protects against?

Get Rid!

Try Avast Stan, and Spybot, all free, and downloadable in minutes

Thankyou Mick and Beefy.

I have applied the `belt and braces'principle and downloaded both the ones you recommended.

Of great concern ,when the Antispyware ran a scan there were over 400 items found including 1 trojan. I found this quite amazing as Norton was supposed to be protecting my computer!

My wife is at the moment loading same onto her posh laptop! Thanks once again. !clapping!

We covered this in another thread, but Mick called it! Norton/Symantec is worse than AOL for getting into your OS and not letting go! Avoid!

Avast is highly recommended - in about 6 years I have never had an issue with it. For other stuff I use AdAware - also free and seems to work well. There are also several good registry cleaners that are a few $$$ but work wonders on getting rid of the junk - and speeding up your computer!

If you are looking for free/inexpensive stuff that works, try Tucows.com - they have all sorts!

Have not heard of this model before, and a stupid name for a motorbike anyway!

So I downloaded Avast and the antispy whatever, the latter found god knows what but wanted mucho lira to cure so that soom went in the bin. Avast seemed to load etc but any search took about 3 times as long! so system restore to yesterday! compusmash

I use Avira Antivirus and AdAware for spyware...Both Free Both work fine...never had any hassle with em.....the Antivirus is free and updates itself everyday and lasts for a year.....then you just uninstall it and go fetch it off their site again and 'tadaa' another year free.

Avast does an initial search which is very deep and does take a while , it then runs all the time you are switched on , constantly checking and updating itself. It acts more like a firewall in my opinion, mind you when some thing does try to sneak in, I hope your volume is turned down!!

I'm using Norton 360 and its days are numbered when it comes time to renew. My computer seems much slower to boot and I'm thinking it is probably Norton that is the culprit.

Also run Adaware and Spybot search and destroy. Both seem good programs and only find the odd one or two cookies.

Avast sounds good and I might try it.

Has anyone found a good straightforward firewall program?

I used Zonealarm for a while but it seemed complicated and definitely slowed my machine down. Norton has its own firewall but seems a bit flaky as noted earlier.

Norton aslo drives you crazy with renewal notices as you get close to the expiry date. This time it is gone. Need to save a $ here and there.

The registry program I use is called "Windows Registry Repair Pro" - I believe it cost about $25 but it seems very efficient and clears out all the registry junk that "uninstall" misses.

For anti-virus and firewall I use Trend Internet Security but it costs £45, however, that covers 3 machines but it's also far cheaper on renewal.

http://uk.trendmicro.com/uk/products/perso...2009/index.html

Best registry cleaner around is CC Cleaner - been using it for years and it's free.

http://www.ccleaner.com/