My pet hate is idiots with a phone stuck to their ear while driving.On pulling up at a T junction this morning I waited for a Transit which was approaching from the left and was turning into the road I was on.He turned the corner one handed...God knows what gear he was in...His right hand was glued to his ear with a mobile..PLUS in the same hand was a polystyrene drinks cup precariously held upright.How he didn't pour his tea down his neck and crash the van is beyond me. He looked me straight in the face and I mouthed the C word at him.

This was in 'letters' in my paper this morning...Not only would I do that I would seize the vehicle too until a heavy fine was paid.

img045-2.jpg

I don't have hands free..my phone is next to my gear lever..if it rings I don't lift it but click the button and say..."I'm driving..I'll come back to you in a minute." Not ideal but I don't lose concentration.

In the case of a serious accident (now called collision), the police have the power to seize the phone for evidence.

It can be interogated for call history, including location of the calls from the cell information.

This would include the route the phone took, even when not in use.

Confiscating the phone would have no effect, as do the current pitiful fines?

How about

£1,000 fine and automatic 12 month ban.

I'm sure we could come up with a simple device that has to be fitted to new cars and be in and operating in a car at MOT time that disables any cell phone in that car while the ignition is on. Dead simple! The cell phone could have an over ride when a hands free head set or some other similar device is plugged into it.

I don't have hands free..my phone is next to my gear lever..if it rings I don't lift it but click the button and say..."I'm driving..I'll come back to you in a minute." Not ideal but I don't lose concentration.

Sorry to P on your bonfire Pooh Bear , but anything that takes your mind off the road for even a split second is ruining your concentration !!

I know where you're coming from though!!

• Upvote 1

I'm aware of that...but...I drive alone.

The times I follow cars with a passenger in the front seat where the driver is chatting away and constantly turning towards the person.My concentration is on the road and my mirrors with the obligatory glance at the speedo....No-one drives fully concentrating on the road all the time, we all have to look at road and street signs.

And it's been a long time since a mini skirt diverted my attention. :tongue:

• Upvote 1

Isn't that one of old the Greene King dreys that they used to use till they stole replacements from Hardy Hansons.

Seriously, I have a problem with people using mobile phones too, on the other hand there are so many other distractions, like, changing CD's and resetting the radio, or will that be a problem in the future, where are the window controls in this car, adjusting the heating controls, fiddling with the sat nav, not that I have one, opening a packet of chewing gum, finding your seat is uncomfortable and having to adjust it. If I have to drive 135 miles from here to Nottingham all of these factors eventually come into play, it's not always possible to find somewhere to stop quickly on the A120/M11/A14/M1 in order to sort them out. I presume that in the end the steering wheel and column will have so many different buttons and nobs on it so you don't have to take your hand off it for a minute, that you can happily wind yourself up by staring intently ahead with complete concentration for the whole journey.

• 5 years later...