Is it near Ambergate, near the the turn off to Crich on the Ripley road, when they knocked down all sorts of bridges round there including that lovely canal aqueduct over the Derby Sheffield line.

Ye Gods, looking at the way they redesigned that bus makes you wonder about the tolerances, even the windows were sloped, I think I would have sat downstairs on that journey.

Any more clues.

Not a very good photo of her? I quite like blondes, is she related to Rosanne at all? by the way what a funny looking building in the background! (sorry couldn't resist it) thanks for interest and reply, as regards clue to original bridge photo shortly after crossing this road the route entered a one and three quarter mile long tunnel

I found these pictures of where I thought the picture was taken, which are actually of the Cromford Canal overbridge leading on to the aquaduct, from what you say, it's not the same place, but it looks remarkably similar:-

amb1.jpg

This one was taken during demolition in 1968:-

amb2.jpg

I give up.

As an aside, when I was a kid, we used to prepare a picnic, take the B2 to Ripley, then catch the Trent bus from Ripley Market Place that went up the hill to Crich, now I realise why it was a single decker.

Yes it's the aquaduct, possibly (hopefully!) the " the midland railway bit" tricked some? it was at one time owned by them but I never said it was a railway line. All these canal and railway closures came at the wrong time, imagine them happening today? they'd be preservation societies springing up all over! The only canal I really saw when younger was the Nottingham one that ran under Old Coach Rd, at the time I was working for about 2 years on Glaisdale Road and at dinners used to go and see what the council and others had dumped into the empty canal! often still working tv's and radios, mopeds and motorbikes even the odd car! later when I had my boats cruised a few but found such boring much preferred the open rivers.

Ashley, it did indeed trick me as the Nottingham Canal was owned by the Great Northern Railway, I have a bridge number and 'Bill Posters' cast iron signs that are both GNR in origin from the canal and of course we have Great Northern Basin in Langley Mill, I assumed it would have been GNR owned all the way up to Cromford, but I gather that it was in joint MR/LNWR ownership from Langley Mill onwards.

Very sad that they saw fit to demolish such an historic structure as recently as 1968, it was designed by George Stephenson apparently, but then they were still contemplating closure of the Erewash Canal at the same time.

I realise that the tunnel you refer to is the Butterley Tunnel, always a puzzle to me, as the canal at that point starts at a higher level than the railway at Bullbridge and finishes more or less on the same level in the Erewash Valley, I would have thought that it would have been easier at the time to build the canal with a series of locks rather than bore that hideous tunnel.

There was a fantastic website with recent pictures taken inside the tunnel, I was going to put it up, but it doesn't seem to be accessible anymore, some good pics on Wiki though.

I'm surprised that you didn't like canal cruising, I am of the opposite opinion, I find rivers boring, and in particular the Norfolk Broads with not a lock in sight and a long line of holiday cruisers trying not to hit each other. Have you ever attempted the Tardebigge flight of locks at Bromsgrove, now thats canal cruising in the extreme.

Where's this then, it's a canal bridge with lock gates behind it, quite prominently sited and local, well, to you lot anyway:-

granthcanal.jpg

I have access to other pictures of it, but the surroundings would give it away.

If you go in the Lord Nelson pub at Bull bridge ( which is very close to the site of that aquaduct) they have some great pics of the area on the wall. One of which i recall shows an over head shot of the area so you can see the canal running over the road.

Where's this then, it's a canal bridge with lock gates behind it, quite prominently sited and local, well, to you lot anyway:-

granthcanal.jpg

I don't think this one has been answered yet. It it the trent Lock to the Grantham Canal looking east with the Colwick ind est in the distance?

And as I said earlier near a football ground, haven't seen it for years but 1980ish tried to get British Waterways to rent me the basin, didn't expect a positive response and of course not what happened! were quite helpful with similar request for moorings on the old Boots leg but in the end no go, they did actually give me a 28ft centre cockpit cruiser, ironically the day before I went to collect it it broke free of it's moorings and got wrecked at the radcliffe weir!

Ashley

Apparently it's called 'Trent Hauling Bridge', quite frankly, it's many years since I wandered that far past the City Ground and I was surprised it still existed, let alone having what appears to be a working lock behind it.

Looking on Google Earth, the basin alongside the car park appears to be empty, with moorings at a premium, why is it not used, vandalism from football 'supporters'?

Whats the story about the boat from British Waterways, surely they weren't giving it away.

Mick

Have you thrown in your hand.

Is it something to do with one of those jousting tournaments that we get 'Ad Nauseum' at our local castle, Hedingham, or in this case, either held at the Castle Green or Wollaton Park.