Spring is Coming!

Lets forget the Christmas weather thing, in anticipation of the growing season and hopefully aquiring our allotment shortly, we were looking through gardening and wildlife magazines last night. It's supposed to be a nice sunny day here today and were wondering what could be done. For a start, the birds have been showing an interest in the nesting boxes, which have to be cleaned out of all last years bedding, I'm concerned about what might be in the Robin box, we had two lots in there plus another out the front, but we think another brood was abandoned.

The dafs and crocuses are appearing, but I seem to remember that this time last year some were already in flower, haven't seen any snowdrops yet either.

The nectarine tree had a horrible disease last year and it's time to spray it, probably too early to attack the grape vines and other fruit trees though.

It's also worth digging the old beds out, apparantly you can sow some things like broad beans under cloches, or possibly in the green house.

Funny country, last sunday we woke up to more snow and today we're considering gardening, I don't think I'll be cutting the grass yet though, it's like a bog.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I look out over the field at the back of our place there is a flock of about 50 Gold finches flying from the bushes on the left out into the field, maybe 20 yrds from the back fence, when they fly back to the bushes a flock of about 100 Chaffinches go to the field, maybe 40 yrds from the fence, 2 Cock pheasants are strutting their stuff in front of 8 hens (possible pairing up?)Beefsteaks favourites "Wagtails" are playing "tag", A pair of Robins keep visiting the feed table along with Blackbirds, Starlings,Jackdaws,and Song thrush, one worry though is a lack of House sparrows, not seen one in the garden! half a dozen Rabbits are chasing each other a little way up the field, the resident Kestrel is keeping the smaller birds on their toes as he flies over the field looking for his dinner whilst the Buzzard is just lazing his time away on the thermals about 200 feet up and slowly drifting east towards the Lincoln ridge, more to follow if any one is interested

Rog

more to follow if any one is interested

Rog

Please carry on, it's amazing how a bit of sun gets the birds singing, they're going mad this morning.

Your sparrows must have come down here, wer'e not short of them, what is interesting is that we seem to have aquired three very bold and noisy wrens, they come right up to the back door, we are also finding that at the moment the owls are making a racket every night as well.

Greatly regret no longer having garden space for fruit and veg'...

When living in Hucknall, we had a huge area, which was 80% devoted to growing every imaginable type of produce...wonderful 'unwind' from work/family pressures too!

Spent much of last autumn planting 400 tulip bulbs, filling in many gaps between plants...so looking forward to a cycle of early, middle and late spring displays - running in to the summer variety.

Now reached the stage where my 3 favourite gardening words are hardy, perennial and naturalising!

Workwise, looking forward to a 'sit and enjoy' summer from a deckchair, whilst moaning about cricket...

Cheers

Robt P.

Just finished building a couple more nest boxes out of old pallets, checked the spotting scope again that's trained on the bushes and old tree out in the field and there is a nice flock of Brambling in with the Chaffinches, Long tailed tits went along the bottom of the garden not long ago so they will be coming back the other way later today,

Just one Blue tit at the moment on the feeder station but no Sparrows, might take a trip to Pennels in Hykeham in a bit to get more bird seed for the week and maybe some mealworms.

Ashley, my gun is never far away, got to keep my eyes open for the Rats that take advantage of the free bird food, shot one last week, nearly as big as a cat

Rog

Only joking, just been to feed the ducks, most here hate that because of the mess such make, we have at least 2 resident owls in trees near us, got a sighting of one once could have sworn a snowy one but told very rare?, quite big too. Other sightings are robins, blue tits, wren, hedge sparrows, kestrel, wood pidgeons and collared doves and last year both green and greater woodpeckers, at water edge swans, canadian and grey geese.

I'm seeing a lot of Northern Cardinals, good sign they are getting ready for mating.

We saw six cardinals in the trees at the back of our house yesterday!

During nesting times, we get one attacking his image in our windows. They are pretty common around here due to the woodlands, but always seem to be in great numbers before mating.

We saw six cardinals in the trees at the back of our house yesterday!

I'd be on to the Pope if I were you , and report them (They should be in church on Sunday, not playing with each other in the woods !!!)

All our 'pretty' birds desert us for the winter. All we have are Stellers Jay, Junco, crows and ravens, the latter 2 go round in gangs of 50 or more. We do get the odd woodpecker come to the feeders, but that's it. Bummer. Roll on Spring.

A lot of folks give crows a bad name, I've watched them attack red tailed hawks, they don't give up either even though the hawk is an agile flier. Eventually the hawk flies off for a bit of peace.Red tailed hawks are better known in these parts as "chicken hawks".

Yep, spring is here:

20473_256234826692_503621692_3462750_3406366_n.jpg

Taken less than 3 hours ago!

Woo-Hooo slip sliding away on the way to work this morning - that is what happens when you get a bit of a thaw, and then a re-freeze! Still plenty of snow though!

Forget what year, maybe 1969? but tried to get to Dragon Rally, (Wales) got a few miles other side of Derby and the road vanished, just hedgetops here and there showing through the snow, best (or worst) of it was day before I had pushed the bike (BSA A10) from Beechdale Baths to Leslie Rd Forest Fields in order to make the trip!

I was driving my van (About 1981) between East Bridgford and Scarrington, as I drove through (What should have been) Car Colston village green I was confronted with ...... just a white field. I don't know who has and hasn't been there but there is a ruddy great stream runs across that green and it was nowhere to be seen (Or the road for that matter )

I had no choice but to give up and go round via Bingham and Whatton (IMMSC that way was no better)

Most of the snow has cleared now but our feathered pals still need a helping hand, the ground is soaked and so is what little food is lying about, the only wildlife that appears to be doing well at the moment is the predators, foxes, raptors etc so keep feeding the birds, today I bought some mixed seeds and a small bucket of meal worms and put some of them out on the bird table along with the fat balls and some pieces of fruit I also raked over a bare patch of garden to expose and insect life that might be about, I think there was because the bare patch was covered in blackbirds and a couple of song thrushes in no time, the next time I will get to see these birds in my garden will be next Saturday afternoon because it's dark when I go out to and back from work but i still top up the bird feeders each night.

Rog

Right now it is -9C here, but it was about -14C this morning! Bright sunshine, but bitterly cold.

You'll be pleased to know that the snowdrops are out, the primroses are flowering and there is a very defiant daffodil just about to open in the front garden, even the broad beans are sprouting (in the greenhouse).

Not only that but Liz has heard the woodpeckers bashing away already.