The already excellent Bingham-Nottingham bus service, presently giving eight trips per hour throughout the day, is to shortly to become ten when Premiere Travel increase their frequency to every fifteen minutes. I'd have thought very few towns, so far from the City, get such a good - and reliable - service.

The rail option from Bingham, on the Grantham to Nottingham line, is abysmal by comparison...at double the fare!

Cheers

Robt P.

The already excellent Bingham-Nottingham bus service, presently giving eight trips per hour throughout the day, is to shortly to become ten when Premiere Travel increase their frequency to every fifteen minutes. I'd have thought very few towns, so far from the City, get such a good - and reliable - service.

Robt P.

I think you must have used Einsteins theory in your note above ,Rob.

General relativity is a theory of gravitation developed by Einstein in the years 1907–1915. The development of general relativity began with the equivalence principle, under which the states of accelerated motion and being at rest in a gravitational field (for example when standing on the surface of the Earth) are physically identical.

Reminds me of the 80's.

Used to catch the Night bus from the City after the clubs.

Used to run to Southwell, perhaps newark as well, via Carlton.

Pathfinder was the company.

What happened to them?

They packed in when they heard about a strange man on Carlton Road jumping out at passing Honda 90s.....LOL

They got lost, actually me and wife were talking yesterday re bus deregulation or whatever it was called when a load of "iffy" operators started up with old heaps (all with private number plates so as to disguise just how old) most now gone to the wall. Thinking back I remembered just how organised transport etc was in 1950/60's, you just knew a corpo bus would be along at at least around the time it was due and if you missed that not long till another? Similar with the railways? if not timetable wise at least you knew who you were travelling with and getting a ticket was merely a case of just handing over the cash and not involving what phase the moon is in or some other permutation depending on when you want to go, what credit card you use, and what record company is running the railways that week. As regards the Nottm/Bingham buses, I agree an excellent service, trains wise on that route? forget it, apart from the cost mentioned ( where did you find that rob? get charged £30 a minute on the 0898 phone line?) going to the stations on that line I have yet to find a timetable I can understand although plenty of "No smoking on the platform" signs (totally ignored by the drinkers judging by the amount of bottles between the rails) or in fact any instructions on how to catch a train! do you hold your hand out as per a bus? does it stop anyway? nothing is stated! barmy

I recall pre tram and pre regulation days in Sheffield in the 80's when David Blunkett was leader of the City council. He introduced a fixed fare on the bus services throughout the city which meant you could go vast distances for next to nothing, of course this meant an increase in the rates, but comparitively speaking, this was next to nothing. Overnight it reduced traffic congestion in the city as people were being offered a cheap, efficient alternative means of transport. But what happened, Thatcher introduced de-regulation and the system went to pot, crappy buses operated by dodgy companies were racing to the bus stops to take passengers away from the council run services. I remember how stupid it got, even down here, the franchise for the Bishops Stortford to Harlow service was awarded to Mansfield and District Traction, I was working in Stortford at the time and was amazed to see these familiar green buses from another time and place driving around the town centre, I heard that they had to be driven to and from Mansfield everyday as no-one down here was prepared to either crew them or give them garage space.

We do have a great bus company down here, it makes a change from those anonymous 'First' buses. They're called Hedingham Omnibuses, an old family company operating out of Sible Hedingham, their stuff is modern but painted traditionally in 1950's colours, they even operate a couple of vintage double deckers that are lovingly cared for in their village garage:

800px-Hedingham_Enviros.jpg

hedingham03.jpg

Yes, that is Duxford, Ian.

I see Officer Crabtree has joined the discussion

:Shock: Cryptic, or what!! Who do you mean, am I missing the plot?????????? Is Bevin Boy someone incognito ????? slywink