• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't see why not, they are the best trained pilots in the world and the envy of all the display teams

Rog

Some people can't walk across a railway foot bridge in safety !!! ....rotfl.gif

OOPS

redscrsh.jpg

I gather the pilot is suffering from cuts, bruises and a dislocated shoulder. The problem is, there's no replacement as they won't have time to train anyone up in such a short time. I've seen them perform mid season with a missing man due to illness, but losing a singleton is a big problem. I've read that they're hoping he'll recover quickly, but even for a top pilot, there must be a considerable amount of trauma at having to eject in such circumstances. The other aircraft suffered a bent wing tip on the rear starboard tail wing, a bit of panel beating and it should be alright, a bit of a close call all round I reckon.

I noted a complete lack of coverage on the main news channels last night, says a lot for the media's attitude to arguably the worlds best aerobatic team, RAF too.

Change of subject, anyone watch 'Wonders of the Solar System' with Prof Cox. Love the series anyway, but what a great job, 'Hey lets look at the atmosphere, only the BBC are paying me to look at it at 60,000ft from the cockpit of an EE Lightning out of Thunder City'.

Watching an F-15 climb out vertically from Lakenheath is impressive enough, but it will never beat the sight and sound of a Lightning doing it, the Eagle can equal it's performance, but visually, no chance, that odd shaped silver bird with strange wings, turning as it climbed until it vanished, only to return at low level from the back of the crowd at Mach 0.97, was always the highlight of every airshow in the old days, sadly missed, unless of course, you happen to live in South Africa.

bac_lightning.jpg

Those were the days.

I mentioned the bit about prof Brian Cox and his trip from Thunder City and James Mays trips up in a U2 and a Typhoon in his programmes at a cost to us , the licence payers, in another aviation related forum.

I also added, "Jealous sir ?, who sir ?, me sir?, not I sir !!,"

rotfl.gif

With regards to 'The Reds' all the pilots are trained in the singleton slots during the second year of their 'tour' with them. It wouldn't be a problem (I assume) to get jez Harker (Last seasons retiree) back whilst Red 4 heals . I'm only thinking along very selfish lines here I know !!!

Change of subject, anyone watch 'Wonders of the Solar System' with Prof Cox. Love the series anyway, but what a great job, 'Hey lets look at the atmosphere, only the BBC are paying me to look at it at 60,000ft from the cockpit of an EE Lightning out of Thunder City'.

Watching an F-15 climb out vertically from Lakenheath is impressive enough, but it will never beat the sight and sound of a Lightning doing it, the Eagle can equal it's performance, but visually, no chance, that odd shaped silver bird with strange wings, turning as it climbed until it vanished, only to return at low level from the back of the crowd at Mach 0.97, was always the highlight of every airshow in the old days, sadly missed, unless of course, you happen to live in South Africa.

bac_lightning.jpg

Those were the days.

I'm not particularly interested in aviation but I have to say that footage of the English Electric Lightning was magnificent. Fair took me back to my youth! What a machine - great stuff!

I was glad to see that the BBC exaggerated the injuries to Red pilot Mike Ling.

There was an interesting little article in this morning`s Guardian by a former Red pilot, Dave Slow. (Amazingly inappropriate name?)

He said that he would be really surprised if pilot error was to blame but wondered if it had been a bird strike.

Here's a very poor bit of camera phone footage

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8586114.stm

It seems training is going ahead as normal and matey boy could be back within a fortnight!!

I've also heard that the RAF are putting their famous "Role Demo" back on the UK airshows scene this year . Harrier and two Tornados on it so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Giz a break , I only got home at 2.00 pm and I have to do "The daddy thing " for a couple of hours !!! (I know, I know, it was great , 'cause I missed them all so much )

Here's a taster:-

4479761082_e54fa2f51d_b.jpg4484183187_2c4b26c861_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

I went up to Northwich to the Thunder Sprint display by one of the BBMFs Spitfires. Only problem was that the pilot did his display in the wrong place!! he was about a mile from where it's been done over the last couple of years!! Also the weather clouded over at just the wrong time , any way here's the best of a bad bunch.

Just to show you how far away he was

4592472875_ebec98688f_b.jpg

4592479381_ddaf352875_b.jpg

4592477639_592e4fc9f5_o.jpg

4592474669_3f6a1c6181_b.jpg

4593095064_ff7e7bb70f_b.jpg

4593093640_b3789c9e95_b.jpg

4592476749_f60aaa626b_b.jpg

Don't you just love that shape? could that have been the one I saw flying towards Gainsborough yesterday afternoon at about 15.00-15.30 coming from the west?

btw not seen the Lanc up yet, any SP on that Ian?

Rog

The Spit left us at around 13.00 Rog, I know it had a couple of flypasts on the way home but I don't think she'd be that late, it may be one rehearsing for next weekend.

As for the "Spirit of the Ruhr" The last I heard she had gone'tech' with a fuel pump problem , somebody was on a site I was looking at, asking if anybody had one of them!!! The best part about it was that people were posting all sorts of (Good) answers and suggestions, including asking East Kirkby and the Pantons and whipping one out of a museum piece !!

Thaks to Rog for the info , the Lancs back up and in full function just in time for the big spring weekend show at Duxford.

I've found that post by the way;

'Evening, we at BBMF were just wondering if someone might have in their possession a Lancaster Fuelcock.

Its numbers are:

26EA 12830

Aircraftings 1316B

3/O.2496

If you might have one of these could you contact me or contact BBMF at http://www.bbmf.co.uk.

Thanks for your assistance in advance, which is always appreciated.

BBMF'

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spent yesterday with Beefsteak at RAF Waddington air show, brilliant weather, flying and of course company (thanks Ian) great flying display by all, shame the BBMF couldn't make it although I see them most days there's something special about an air show when they are there.

There is now talk of a Lincolnshire aviation day sometime in September for those interested, no doubt Beefy will have more details nearer the time

Rog