Who/What is this named after?

Just been looking on the BBC news website and came across this bit of news about Nottingham. I was just amazed at the name of this place as I cant even pronounced it !!! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/8602542.stm

The Djangoly Centre on Gregory Blvd......how did it get that name?, Anyone know? Whatever happened to simple,easy to pronounce names like Ken Martin,Victoria Baths, Noel St..etc, etc?

I am not sure that I would recognise Nottingham if I went back there now if this is an example of the names they are using!!!

I am just a little confused/upset at reading this name, anybody wondering about it or is it just me?

Owdtite.

It's pronounced Jann-oggly. I think it's named after the philanthropist and benefactor Sir Harry Djanogly. Both local universities have facilities bearing his name.

It's pronounced Jann-oggly. I think it's named after the philanthropist and benefactor Sir Harry Djanogly. Both local universities have facilities bearing his name.

Thanks for letting us know Stu, I would have pronounced it DeJannGolly, have the BBC and myself spelt it wrongly do you think? Was he a famous Guy and did he do a lot for Nottingham?..I must admit I have never heard of him but then again, I have been left Nottm 33 years now!

Owdtite

Owdite - yes mate, I think the BBC spelt it incorrectly. I'm not really an authority on the man but just know of him. I regularly work in the Djanogly Lecture Theatre for Nottingham Trent University and's that about as strong a link as I have! His name seems to be cropping up all over the city these days.

A bit here about him:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23415301-art-and-design.do

Harry Djanogly, 66

COLLECTOR, PHILANTHROPIST

Sir Harry made £300m in textiles and, though secretive, is in the five top UK philanthropists. His collection includes the largest number of Lowrys in the world, Picassos and Monets.