Ginger Beer and Elderflower Champagne

Since a couple of members were discussing this on Facebook last night and, by coincidence, I also talked about it with my aunt last week - who remembers making Ginger Beer or Elderflower Champagne - or perhaps, still makes it.

I remember being given a "Ginger Beer Plant" on a few occasions as a kid - feeding the plant, splitting it and making the brew. There was always some trepidation about the amount of sugar - and it the bottles would hold the pressure! I don't remember us having any bottle explosions, but heard many tales from those that did enjoy the experience.

We never made Elderflower Champagne - but my mates mum made it from time-to-time. I remember it having a LOT of "fizz" and tasting delicious! I wasn't so fond of the ginger beer, but my guess is I would have a better appreciation of it these days. Do folks still pass along Ginger Beer Plants?

Don't know too much about the 'ginger beer plant' but I do recall very well the old fellah making a consignment of elderflower wine when I was a kid. Almost a relationship-threatening situation as the bottles of wine which were stored in an upstairs bedroom to ferment went 'pop' one by one and sprayed the ceiling!

We used to make ginger beer when first married. I do remember the top blowing off one bottle, the top hit the ceiling, the liquid went everywhere in the kitchen. No matter how many times I washed that floor, it was still tacky for ages afterwards! I have tried making it here, got a 'plant' going again, made the beer and after weeks and weeks, it finally started to fizz. It was not a great success so didn't bother again, I think the altitude had a lot to do with it, we're almost 7,000ft here.

You're correct on the altitude assumption Katy, the higher you go the lower the pressure.

I've been making Elderfower Champagne with some success over the last few years, and yes it was I that had one go pop yesterday to start this topic. I opened another bottle from the same batch which was right next to the one that popped and it gave barely a wimper !!! Although some which is in old 4 pint milk bottles (I ran out of wine bottles!!) gave that satisfying pssst as you opened it right down to the end!!

I think I handed some out to a few people on one of our aviation days, any body drank it yet??

It's not very alcoholic but very refreshing on hot days after a hedge/ lawn cutting session!!!

When I can find a plant I'm going to give the ginger beer a go (I've got a bit of room in the outhouse for it!!)

Ginger beer is one of the recipes in one of my old brewing books I've had for over 40 years. If I recall it gives how to "grow" a ginger beer "plant" Not really a plant in the living sense.. LOL Trouble is, damned if I know where those books are these days.

Unless anyone else beats me to it, I'll post it in a couple of hours. Have to go and help at a tournament, during lunch.

Ginger Beer Plant.

Ingredients.

1/2 oz fresh yeast

2 teaspoons ground ginger

2 teaspoons sugar

3/4 pint water

Mix ingredients and leave for 24 hours. Feed daily for 1 week, with 1 teaspoon ground ginger and 1 teaspoon sugar. After 7 days strain through cheesecloth. Put the solid matter to one side for later. To the strained liquid, add 5 pints cold water, the juice of 2 lemons, and 1 1/2lb [one and a half] pounds of sugar, which is disolved in 2 pints of hot water. Mix well. Pour into screw top bottles and leave for a week before using. Makes 1 gallon. Take the solid matter, halve it [give half away or throw away] and to your new half, feed daily again for a week. Repeat process.

Yes Ian, drank that bottle you gave me the other week, must have been in the pantry (do we still use that word?) for about a year, very refreshing drink, that went with a pssst when i opened the bottle

Rog

• 2 years later...

Well due to the Diabetes I decided not to make any for the last couple of years, but as the Elderflower is going potty this year, and have had quite a few requests, I have relented and just finished making up a batch of 12 litres !

I've still got a few bottles left from previous batches dating back to my 2008 vintage.

We had a bottle of that the other night after we'd done the lawn/hedge thing, and it helped in the decision.

Don't Coors have a brewery at or near "the mile high city"???

There's a couple of white mulberry trees outside, been threatening to make some mulberry wine for several years. We also have a lot of Elderberry trees growing wild around here too.

Dandelion and burdock...LOL plus some fizzy water and sugar..

I still buy a bottle of Morrisons own brand sugar free D and B every week. Lovely with one of my home made curries!!

Coors original brewery is in Golden, Colorado - not far from Denver. For many years it was not shipped east of the Mississippi because it was not pasteurised! The same reason it was not sold in many States - un-pasteurised beer was illegal!

Much smuggling of Coors went on - it was the basis for the movie "Smokey and the Bandit"!

Coopers in South Australia was unpasteurized beer, it had to be decanted to remove the "lees" at the bottom of the bottle...Not sure about this, but I think Coopers are the last brewery in the world who secondary ferment their beer in the bottle, other than home brewers.

Ironic really that pasteurizing beer was started by large brewers to prevent enzyme "hazing" and secondary fermentation in keg brews, and now it's turned into law..

"There's nowt like a good brew straight out of wood"

I still buy a bottle of Morrisons own brand sugar free D and B every week. Lovely with one of my home made curries!!

I still think it was the best BURP producer out of all the pops

Always got giggles & a slap round tab.

Real "Guinness" in bottles was unpasteurised, not sure if that is still true and Worthington "White Shield" was too.

It was possible to harvest the yeast from the sediment of either of those brews, use a yeast starter to get it going then use it to ferment your home-brew! Never tried it though!

Guinness sold here would have to be pasteurized Eric, tbh, was never a Guinness drinker in the old country. Wasn't one of the Bass beers naturally fermented in the bottle?? "blue triangle"??