Street Lights

Won't save a deal round here, half the ******** don't work anyway! as regards the rights or wrongs well lots of area's don't have any street lights villages, country roads etc. Can see both sides of the argument. Does seem an awful waste from say 1am till 5/6am for the amount of people who benefit? then again am sure there could be vast savings in other ways? Why don't they go further and have a curfew say 12midnight till 5am, once established and used to would save even more? oh yes and the police should demand to see id's "Papiere Bitte!"

I can see both sides of the argument as well.

If you drive along any motorway or major road at night you see all those retail parks and industrial areas fully lit up, like a football stadium with its floodlights on. And probably nobody anywhere near them.

But the lights were turned off, the burglars would think it was christmas every day

Obviously the answer is half on/half off

If I remember rightly, street lights always went off at midnight or so when I were a lass. The last bus on Saturday night got to our stop just before midnight. A neighbour once told me that she knew when it was midnightish by the clacking of two pairs of stilettos running down the street to beat the lights-out. (Me and my sister)

Streets lights you say?....Wot are they then???

Dont hav'em up here!!!!

Owdtite.

So I bet you're aware of the effect with glare and flare that all the street lighting gives off.

If you normally live in a built up area and find yourself in the middle of open countryside at night, it's surprising how much blacker the night sky is and how much brighter the stars seem to be, because there's no glare from any artificial lighting.

But when you're in the middle of nowhere and look across in the distance to the nearest town you'll see a big orange flare in the sky from all the lights, and no black sky and no stars.

No street lights anywhere near where I live either, no burglars either, seems they all are at risk from lead poisoning... !rotfl!

Whilst driving back from Somerset in the early hours of last Friday, I noticed how much illumination was given (virtually for myself!) on the M5, specifically around Bristol.

Concluded that the nine miles from Gordano to Almondsbury could have stood a 75% lighting reduction, without compromising safety.

Could not various automatic overides be put in place (in the event of bad weather) to temporarily restore the full provision?

Resultant savings, on a nationwide basis, could delight 'Call me Dave' and his new Parliamentary mates...

Cheers

Robt P.