Came across this sketch from last century.While Broxtowe Estate was being built in the 30s they excavated an Iron age village on the site.Surrounded by a ditch and rampart.It must be strange if you live in one of these houses to think that your garden was settled some two thousand years ago.It would appear that Linbridge Road has been renamed Shipley Road at some time. A village here would certainly have had a heck of a view of the surrounding country.

jjddsaw.jpg

It would appear that Linbridge Road has been renamed Shipley Road at some time.

they are on opposite sides of the Island..

..I lived on woodfield rd there for a few years . very top left of your map. over looking what was the wasteground behind it ( now a grassed over parkland area )....lots of finds were taken out of the ground back there. ( not by me tho )

Was vaguely aware of this Broxtowe Iron Age settlement, but thanks for indicating the location. Perhaps the original inhabitants enjoyed a better lifestyle than many of the Socio-Economic Class 5's who now occupy the site!

As you infer, elevated positions were always important in those days to aid observation of potential invaders.

Maybe we should now be doing likewise :rolleyes:

My youth was spent in the 'Valley' noted in Map 2 ... namely the Deepdene Way/Amesbury Circus area...the wooded area between is of course the amazingly titled Broxtowe Woods - often mentioned as one of our childhood playgrounds, in several earlier threads, by both Kath and I.

Cheers

Robt P.

• 2 weeks later...

First wife grew up on Lindfield road between Lindfield close and Firsby road, the back garden backed onto Broxtowe woods, at the bottom of the garden just before the woods father in law dug up the remains of an old Roman path/road, (it's been documented by the relevant groups) the path/road cuts across the garden and dissapears into the wood heading for Deepdene way

Rog

Interesting....if that was my garden I would seive the topsoil for anything of interest. If I found nothing,at least the garden would get dug...:laugh:

It must be fascinating to understand that many people 2,000 years previously trampled over the land where you live...not just the odd ploughman or shepherd.

• 4 years later...

So at what point did that area become a landfill? And which parts? I know there was a methane burner on 'Broxtowe country park'

I was at Strelley at the time of the riots in Broxtowe 1992/93? I always laughed that because Strelley had been, still was a tip, there were more seagulls than at Skegness, aggressive gits too

Gena

• Upvote 1