Christmas - Already!

Don't know about the rest of the world - but the stores here are already in full Christmas, sell, sell, sell mode - some stores have had stuff out for two or three weeks already!

Personally, I think it should be illegal - at least until December 1st, but I can't complain - I just ordered four (yes, 4) jars of Bovril, a large jar of Marmite, a 1Kg tin of Quality Street and a Christmas Cake from an online store in Bristol! Some of those things I can find over here except the Bovril for some strange reason - and the Quality Street in decent size tins is hard to find unless I go to Canada. Same with Christmas cake - and they charge a fortune for it. In the end it was cheaper to buy in the UK and pay almost $40 for shipping - but it will be here next week!

Speaking of prices and shipping - some of the electrical parts I need for my business come from a supplier in Sandiacre! There is a supplier here, but they double the price from the UK. So provided I order enough, the savings on tax and retail here far outweigh the shipping cost - I saved over $130 on my last order!

Thata a really good deal but i think i will give the Marmite a miss, the decorations are going up in the streets of Nottingham on the Council House at least, but there has been Christmas Cards in the shops since the end of August, i make my own and i have boxes of cards we bought from two yrs ago

From what I'm given to believe, Bovril and Oxo cubes are sold in Canadian stores Eric. So if you nip over the border, have a look in one of the stores up there, might be a hell of a lot cheaper than through the British shops stateside.

If it's true, I'll get you to pick me some up too!!

John - The Bovril available in Canada isn't the paste in jars - it is a liquid in a plastic "squeezy" container and does not appear to be the same thing! I can get OXO cubes here from time-to-time, but I usually bring them back from the UK with me as I don't use that many. However, the liquid OXO is very good - available in beef, chicken and vegetable flavors! They used to sell Bovril here too - but it was the "beefless" variety - a victim of the mad-cow scares!

Actually, the stores just over the border (Windsor) are a bit disappointing for British stuff. They were actually better when Marks & Sparks were still open over there but since they left about ten years ago, the selection has dropped way off. M&S even had mini pork pies that weren't too bad!

Almost forgot - starting around this time of year, the Duty Free store in Windsor often has those big tubes of Smarties. I got a real laugh out of a US Immigration agent one time when he asked "are you bringing anything back into the states" - I reached over, picked up my tube of Smarties and declared "only a tube of Smarties!" He laughed and waved me on!

Yuck, that Bovril sounds terrible!!!

For the first time ever, we bought Bovril cubes back last time. And for the first time ever, the customs fella at Phoenix asked if we'd got Bovril, we shook our heads, but laughed at the irony of the timing.

Thank you Mick - the correct pronunciation is appreciated! rotfl.gif

SWMBO has rather a penchant for 'Twiglets ' which are of course 'Marmite' flavoured (I love a Marmite Butty , me) We bought a 'family ' sized bag on Sunday , opened them last night whilst we snuggled up to watch telly and they were gone in about 10 minutes of crunchyness !!!, now I don't know about you but I don't think their idea of 'Family sized' is the same as mine!!

My actual point being , they do 'Worcester Sauce' flavored ones now too !!"

Never did like Marmite. But in chippies, used to love Bovril flavour!!!

I introduced the wife to Bovril when we lived in Australia, yes it's on the supermarket shelves!! She loved crumpets with lashings of butter and bovril spread on the top....mmmmmmmm delicious!

This may sound odd, but down under crisps are chippies and chips are chips!! No they never get confused, only when they have drunk seven or eight schooners of Tooheys old, which is actually the new recipe and New is the old recipe.... God I'm confused now... !rotfl!

Bastards!

And I mean that in the nicest possible way! sickly.gif

Twiglets, Marmite crisps - I wish I could afford more trips "home" - at times like this I really miss it! Americans really do not have good taste!

But then again, I'm off to Florida for six weeks at the beginning of November! tanning.gif

Well at least it will be cooler, but them there hurricanes put me off and we are in hurricane season now.

Nah, what's a little wind and rain compared to the feet of snow we get here! At least I won't be scraping ice of the windscreen!

I'm in the Marmite loving camp! Always really liked it on toast in particular and eat it regularly. Bovril is a fantastic winter drink I think - especially at half-time at the football on a cold day. Very warming. Great British traditions.

Just reading 'Adventures on the High Teas' by Stuart Maconie in which he describes how 'emergency twiglets' can be made out of dry spaghetti dipped in Marmite. :)

Ash - "Original recipe" Bovril was essentially banned in the US because it contains beef products - and all beef imports from the U.K. were banned due to the mad cow scare. Bovril actually produced and sold world-wide a "beef free" version, but the Brits complained (as they should) and they reverted to the original recipe.

It has never has been very popular here - there was a US equivalent called Bonox, but it is almost impossible to find. Americans just don't "get it"!

I tried Bonox ONCE!! Never again.

I looked up how they make Bovril last year, all it is, is rendered down beef, boiled and boiled down. I'd hazard a guess they use high pressure to keep the cost down in manufacture, like huge pressure cookers.

Back to the Christmas stuff on sale, Four weeks ago Morrisons were selling 1 kg tins of Quality Street, Roses, Celebrations and Heroes all at half price (£4.50p a tin) I told SWMBO it would be a good idea to get one now as they always put the price up nearer Christmas, so we bought QS for me and Roses for SWMBO as she prefers them! (We're always still eating then in May !!)

We decided to get the other 2 this year for the kids and for trick or treaters (SWMBO doesn't go for it , neither do I particularly, ) they were "Sorry temporarily out of stock " on the 'Heroes' but still had a couple of the 'Celebrations ' left , we got one and I said to SWMBO " I went in on Sunday and now they're on "Buy one get one free" 'one' costing £9.99p !! Shouldn't have bout the odd tin now , we shall have to do without (Mind you I think 3 tins is 2 too many anyway!!

I looked on the base of the tin to check they were 1 kilo tins and ,,,, get this,,,,,, it tells you to put the plastic bits of the wrappers on your compost heap!!! Must be biodegradable!!

If you look on the front of a "Marmite" jar there's a picture of a cooking pot, that is actually a "Marmite" pot the thing they originally used to make the stuff!!!

Isn't Marmite a yeast extract???

Marmite is a yeast extract, made in Burton on Trent.

Last year, B&Q built a new store quite near to the Marmite factory and when it was finished it was noticed the car park was flooding - it appears that the earthenware drains from Marmite had erroded away - makes you wonder what it will do to your insides!