Hi,

Pardon the intrusion, but having viewed some of the posts on this site, I suspect there are quite a few local experts who might be able to assist me.

I have come across some ancestors (Joseph & Mary Fox) who lived & worked in Star Lane, Bulwell, but I am unable to locate any such place on contemporary maps.

This site suggests Star (or Starr) Lane became Quarry Lane, which is now Commercial Road.

I did manage to identify a "Star Inn" on the Picture The Past website, which seems to have been located on the junction of Main Street & Vere Street.

Can anyone verify the location of Star Lane in Bulwell?

Many thanks , Neal.

Starr is not an uncommon name in the area. The Starr Inn shows up in the 1881 census at 47 Main Street Bulwell which is now called the "Moon & Stars". It may not be the same building as roads do get renumbered but "Starr" & "Stars"???

Starr Lane may well have changed name to Quarry Lane then Commercial Road. Wellanna, what dates are you researching?

Hi,

Starr is not an uncommon name in the area. The Starr Inn shows up in the 1881 census at 47 Main Street Bulwell which is now called the "Moon & Stars". It may not be the same building as roads do get renumbered but "Starr" & "Stars"???

I also spotted the "Moon & Stars" on Google Street View, but as you say, it is a contemporary building. Sadly, doesn't look like the building from Picture The Past.

Starr Lane may well have changed name to Quarry Lane then Commercial Road. Wellanna, what dates are you researching?

The confirmed dates I have are 1851 & 1861 (census).

Neal.

• 1 month later...

Just looking at this thread, "Starr" is unusual, more like a persons name, so could the pub and road be named after someone called Starr?? Starr is also a Jewish name, probably a corruption of an unpronounceable Hebrew name.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Pardon the intrusion, but having viewed some of the posts on this site, I suspect there are quite a few local experts who might be able to assist me.

I have come across some ancestors (Joseph & Mary Fox) who lived & worked in Star Lane, Bulwell, but I am unable to locate any such place on contemporary maps.

This site suggests Star (or Starr) Lane became Quarry Lane, which is now Commercial Road.

I did manage to identify a "Star Inn" on the Picture The Past website, which seems to have been located on the junction of Main Street & Vere Street.

Can anyone verify the location of Star Lane in Bulwell?

Many thanks , Neal.

hi this is my first post so i hope you will forgive any mistakes i make Star lane in Bulwell ran from the market up to fregars garage opposite strelley house

Ernie

Star lane in Bulwell ran from the market up to fregars garage opposite strelley house

Ernie

Looking at old and current maps, that seems to be what is now Commercial Road.

So was it another name for Commercial Road, or was it something near there but which never seems to be shown on any maps

Hi,

Looking at old and current maps, that seems to be what is now Commercial Road.

So was it another name for Commercial Road, or was it something near there but which never seems to be shown on any maps

Thank you for the updates.

I can see Commercial Road on contemporary maps, which is split by Bulwell High Road.

Could somebody explain where "fregars garage" & "strelley house" are or used to be?

Cheers, Neal.

I'm pretty certain that "Fregar's Garage" was renamed "Market Garage" a few years ago. Opposite strelley House.

Starr lane was the first 2 or 3 hundred yards of commercial road if i remember right there was a bank at the bottom then a fuit and veg shop then richards toy shop then a paper shop then a fish shop the fish shop and the fruit and veg shop were called horslys then a funiture shop and then a tyre firm all this was on the right going up the lane on the opposite side was home and colonial a herbalist roberts i think it was called then there was fosters shoe repairs dewhurst the butchers farrends carlins which later became a cafe upstairs yes fregars garage was renamed market garage

Starr lane was the first 2 or 3 hundred yards of commercial road

With nothing better to do on a wet Sunday morning, I've just looked at the Old Maps site and none of the maps for any year have a reference to Star Lane at that end of Commercial Road.

Was it maybe an unofficial name which was only used by local residents, where everybody knew what you were talking about even if that wasn't its official name

Starr lane was the first 2 or 3 hundred yards of commercial road if i remember right there was a bank at the bottom then a fuit and veg shop then richards toy shop then a paper shop then a fish shop the fish shop and the fruit and veg shop were called horslys then a funiture shop and then a tyre firm all this was on the right going up the lane on the opposite side was home and colonial a herbalist roberts i think it was called then there was fosters shoe repairs dewhurst the butchers farrends carlins which later became a cafe upstairs yes fregars garage was renamed market garage

Super information! Thank you so much.

Can I ask what is the earliest date for the shops you refer to above?

As "Cliff Ton" says, the old-maps site has maps/town plans dating back to 1885, but none of them refer to that stretch of road as Starr Lane. It's known as Commercial Road in 1915 maps, but before that, there isn't any name used at all!

Cheers. Neal.

Super information! Thank you so much.

Can I ask what is the earliest date for the shops you refer to above?

As "Cliff Ton" says, the old-maps site has maps/town plans dating back to 1885, but none of them refer to that stretch of road as Starr Lane. It's known as Commercial Road in 1915 maps, but before that, there isn't any name used at all!

Cheers. Neal.

the earliest date is probably late 40s early 50s i was brought up at the top of commercial road in a street called duchess st opposite the straw factory where in later years i worked ialso worked at sankeys pottery making clay plant pots i was also in the 48th nottingham(highbury school scout group and at the moment trying to contact any other members from the 50s and 60s

!englandflag! Hi Greenviking, I was in St Teresa's 28th Aspley scouts, in the early 60's, used to go camping at Walesby, your mob went there too..........were there 2 boys in your troop named Smeeton & Dastawiecz? Both would be about 60 now

!englandflag! Hi Greenviking, I was in St Teresa's 28th Aspley scouts, in the early 60's, used to go camping at Walesby, youe

now thats interesting in 1988 i took the 28th for their master at arms badge and as a thank you they invited me on there summer camp at Walesby which was an international jamboree but there was no lads with them names in the 48th when i was there. thanks for the reply paulus its good ther are people out there who enjoyed scouting