Mansfield Road Holy Gr-ale pub craw

I had wondered if local members had noticed this one?

Nottingham pubs give the famous Mansfield Road pub crawl a boost

Starting this Thursday (17th) for four days, it's a welcome attempt at delivering a bit of extra life into the old pub crawl consisting of The Peacock, The Rose of England, The Golden Fleece, The Nags Head, The Linconshire Poacher, Fade & The Hard To Find Cafe and The Forest Tavern and The Maze for a few days.

As a veteran of this pub crawl (albeit walking down the road towards the city as the aforementioned feels a little like defying gravity!) I feel it's perhaps not what it was as a whole. Several of the pubs seem less enjoyable to me but perhaps that's just me. Tend to think the Derby Road pubs are superior these days with the personal exception of the Poacher and Fade.

I never did the 'full' Mansfield Road crawl although I did do half a dozen or more once on the way down from the fair one year.

The one I have done on a few occations was to get the '72' (Or the 28 as it later became) from Carlton Square , to the "Pretty Windows" and all the way back from there !! (I kid you not !!)

The Lamp, Earl Howe, Duke of Devonshire (Mad House), White Lion, Duke of Cambridge (The Swinging t*t), The March Hare, The Red Cow ( just up Windmill Lane) The Smiths Arms, The Jubilee, The Coopers Arms (On Porchester Road) the 'offie' on the junction of Cardale Road and Carlton Road for a carry out ( a can or two each) to last us till we got to the Toby Jug, then down hill to The Nags Head , Carlton Catholic Club, Earl of Chesterfield (Bruno) , Windsor Castle, and finally The Blacks Head and if we had enough puff/money/ and were sober enough The Old Volunteer (Volo) for a lock in !!

I must admit it wasn't usually a pint in each one though !! mostly halves in the pubs near each other.

That is it's proper name.

I dont think there was a pub there before.

But there was another pub in roughly that area early 70s.

Might have even been where the poacher was?

Though I thought the Poacher was the former 'Bamboo Cafe'?

Didn't The Forest Tavern have a full size snooker table at one time? and if so didn't it have a ban on women using it? know I played on one as a teenager and later took girlfriend (later wife) there for a game (or an argument if ban still on!) only to find table had gone! also whilst not to do with pubs but can anyone remember a sort of little yard off Mansfield road that had a secondhand/junk/antique shop in it? think somewhere just above Dave Mann Music? In the days when any TV filming was rare in Nottingham said shop featured in some crime drama, afterwards owner of shop didn't clean the "chalk crosses" etc on the floor where actors had stood for ages proudly showing such off to anyone who asked about them

I dont think there was a pub there before.

No there wasn't. Not suggesting that. The Lincolnshire Poacher was formerly The Old Grey Nag's Head (as can still be seen inscribed on a window or two looking out onto Mansfield Road).

Den, you're being mischievous! :)

'Forest Tavern' sounds familiar?

Was that somewhere at the top of Mansfield Rd?

Yes. It's still there, most often known by the name 'The Maze' these days which was previously only the name of the adjoined music venue to the rear of The Forest Tavern. Last pub on the left leaving town just before the Mansfield Road/Forest Road crossroads.

The proper Mansfield Road pub crawl starts at the Wagon and Horses in Redhill and finishes at the Rose of England in town. Done it once on a Bank Holiday Monday and took a week to recover.

Includes (from memory): W&H, Ram Inn, Grove, Daybrook, Vale, Sherwood, Robin Hood, Punch & Judy, New Inn, Grosvenor, Forest Tavern, Nag's Head, Criterion, Poacher, Fleece, Rose of England, Hole in the Wall and finished up at the Newcastle Arms. :wacko:

The proper Mansfield Road pub crawl starts at the Wagon and Horses in Redhill and finishes at the Rose of England in town. Done it once on a Bank Holiday Monday and took a week to recover.

Includes (from memory): W&H, Ram Inn, Grove, Daybrook, Vale, Sherwood, Robin Hood, Punch & Judy, New Inn, Grosvenor, Forest Tavern, Nag's Head, Criterion, Poacher, Fleece, Rose of England, Hole in the Wall and finished up at the Newcastle Arms. :wacko:

Not forgetting the White Hart, Daybrook (now closed), The Old Spot, The Sherwood Manor and Fade! I did it from the Wagon to Goose Fair once. No, I didn't go on any rides afterwards... :)