Old lady in Skegness

Not really a Nottingham topic, but as Skegness is Nottingham on sea - and everybody's been there - this is something which has stuck in my memory.

We went to Skeg quite a few times in the early 1960s, and just down Lumley Road (off the sea-front) was a cafe/ice cream shop. An old lady used to sit on a chair on the pavement outside this shop and, in a manner like street traders and newspaper sellers, she just kept repeating "ices, tea and coffee served inside, ices" like she was some kind of tape loop.

She looked very old and slightly mysterious even back then, and as a kid I was fascinated by her performance. I know I didn't imagine it, and there must be other old Nottinghamians who saw her

Remember her well she had i think a foriegn twang to her voice, I remember my mom & dad repeting ICES over & over

There was a Joke shop down the back street i remember getting a Whoopee cushion & a fake turd

Remember her well she had i think a foriegn twang to her voice,

After all these years it's nice to know that I didn't imagine it and there is someone else who saw her

I'd forgotten about the foreign accent. Back in those days there weren't as many "foreigners" around, and I'd guess she might've been Italian (with the ice cream connection)

Cliff Ton, are you assuming too much? Italian = ice cream etc? you'll have the race relations board after you! would have preferred Tank with 5 reverse speeds (and 1 forward, in case they get attacked from the rear) or why do the new Italian Navy have glass bottom boats? so they can see their old navy, lol

I don't have any idea of her name, I was too young to take any notice of things like that, so you could well be right.

This old lady wasn't the person who sold the ice cream or worked in the shop, she just sat outside telling everyone what was inside.

I'd guess she was maybe the parent/grandparent of the people who worked in the shop.

Maybe she or her husband had started the business many years earlier. and it was her children who were running it by the early 60s

Cliff Ton, are you assuming too much? Italian = ice cream etc? you'll have the race relations board after you! would have preferred Tank with 5 reverse speeds (and 1 forward, in case they get attacked from the rear) or why do the new Italian Navy have glass bottom boats? so they can see their old navy, lol

Never Assume, it makes an ASS out of U and ME.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old topic, and I thought I'd already replied, but I remember on the occasions either my mum or grandad took me to Skegness always walking past the place, I thought she did it live though, a bit like a fair ground attraction person using a microphone, could be wrong though!

I thought she did it live though, a bit like a fair ground attraction person using a microphone, could be wrong though!

Craig, it was me who started this thread. I think you might've misunderstood what I meant about how she did her act. She definitely was speaking live in the times I remember - no complicated technology. But looking back now as an adult I can see she was a kind of human tape-loop, almost before such things had been invented.

I believe it's now called Performance Art.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

interesting thread, it was actually my great granddad Fred Fravigar and my grandmother that you guys are talking about. Although the family is of italian descent my great grandmother was from Boston, the family came from italy to boston in the 1840s bringing the ice cream/gelato with them and were traveling musicians before making gelato and traveling on the train to skegness and selling it on skegness beach before moving to skegness. My great granddad started a factory in skegness making rock, sweets and ice cream which stayed in the family until about 10 years ago when it was sold.

• Upvote 11

I can't believe we have a reply from a member of the actual family !

I started this thread over 3 years ago, and it proves I didn't imagine those things 50+ years ago. Amazing.

And congratulations to littlebro for suggesting the name Fravigar over 3 years ago.

• Upvote 4

Hi thanks for welcoming me to the thread ;-). I think the shop you are on about is maybe the shop my great grandfather had on lumley road. They use to make rock in there and holiday makers could go in and see the rock being made. Is this the shop you mean? i have some pics somewhere of the ice cream carts they use to have on skegness beach but not sure if i can put them in this thread

• Upvote 1

Is Fred Fravigar real name Francis ? If so this is the couple in May 1931 celebrating their golden wedding !

16450894419_fd897a6b59_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hi thanks for welcoming me to the thread ;-). I think the shop you are on about is maybe the shop my great grandfather had on lumley road. They use to make rock in there and holiday makers could go in and see the rock being made. Is this the shop you mean? i have some pics somewhere of the ice cream carts they use to have on skegness beach but not sure if i can put them in this thread

I'm certain the shop that I remember (and which made me start this thread) was on Lumley Road, because I seem to recall that is the main road in Skegness. Bear in mind I'm talking about the early 1960s, and I was young enough to notice the novelty of an old lady with an unusual voice and accent. And because her catchphrase was "Ices, tea and coffee served inside, ices" I think that narrows down the type of shop we are talking about !

And maybe the lady in DAVIDW's photo might be the very lady in question.

• Upvote 1

The lady and the man in the newspaper are indeed Francis and his wife Mary Ann. Francis was my Great great granddad, he was Fred Fravigar father. Francis was the first descendant of the Augustine Fravigar (the one that came from Genoa Italy). Francis died in 1932 and his wife Mary Ann died in 1946. My great granddad(Fred) was born in 1900 and married Elsie Haw, Elsie was the adoptive daughter of the station master at skegness train station. Selina Fravigar was Freds Sister in law i have a clipping and will share a link to it which mentions a kiosk. I will ask my granddad and see if he can shed any light.

• Upvote 1