Took the dogs for a walk this morning and noticed blackberrys already full size but still green.

Should be ripe very soon.

Surely Blackberry season used to be around September?

That's global warming for you

We go and pick them round here in the tail end of the kids summer holiday, so it would be August / September.

When I went over to see Rog (1st June) we went for a drive through a place near him called Stapleford Woods and it was absolutely chocker with Rhododendrons in full bloom, these were well established blooms , ie at least a week maybe even a fortnight old at the time.

About 40 years ago we used to holiday in Bournemouth and go on an "Evening coach tour" through a place called "Rhododendron Mile" which was a piece of woodland (Funnily enough, it was about a mile long ) on both sides of the road it too was chocker with them. This was always towards the end of June as we always went away for my birthday (24th), I know the blooms last a while but not well over a month. !!

I heard on a "Countryfile " programme about 16 years ago that the Daffodils that inspired Wordsworth, on the shores of Windermere, are now blooming well over a month earlier than they did in his day.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...

My blackberries never ripen before October and then it is a race against time before the first snows of the year. This year I have no blackberry fruits because I cut the stems all down in Spring in order to retrain them.

Like most vines, this years growth is next years fruiting stems.

Ragweed and golden rod, two native weeds are just flowering, very very late this year, they normally flower late July through August, Ragweed causing hay fever for many people.

I have 3 plum trees and have harvested around 15 washing up bowls full. I have given loads away. Used to make jam and wine but have no time any more. We all have the trots now.

• Upvote 3

Our cooking apple tree had very few apples last year, but this year it is a huge crop - in size and quantity. I counted the good unmarked ones we have stored in boxes and there's about 150. The ones which are a bit marked I've got lined up on the kitchen windowsill to be used first and 2 freezer drawers are full of both sliced apples and purée (which saves a bit of space). We, too, have given lots away, but living in a rural community many people have the same problem! I'm making various crumbles - apples + lemon curd, apple + mincemeat, apple + blackberry, but getting a bit fed up with crumble now. Yesterday we had just fruit with no crumble, topped with plain yoghurt - that's healthier anyway isn't it. I've also made apple juice but don't like adding all that sugar just to make a drink .....

And there's still more left on the tree!

• Upvote 2

Make yourself some cider with what's left Margie.

• Upvote 1

Have watched 3 of the videos about cider making - might try the one that uses a food processor to mash the apples up as it looks easier than using a pole and bucket!

Freeze them, when the thaw they will be mushy, put the mush in a clean cloth and squeeze the juice into a clean bucket.

Good idea if I can find a space to freeze any more apples. Can't use the ones already in the freezer as they are either cooked puréed or sliced with some sugar already added. I'll try....

If they are the sour type cooking apples, you will have to add sugar, there won't be enough natural sugar in sour apples for yeast to work on.

Just made apple drink using my food processor - 6 whole apples -skin, core and pips - made about a pint of juice. Only had to add half a tablespoon of sugar so that's good. Not sure if I'll use the processor again, though, as I suspect the uncooked whole apples will blunt the blades if I keep doing it

October is cider making time for me. There are a number of wild apple trees up the railway line where I get most of the apples from. The remainder come from my garden. I have found that a proper cider yeast helps the brew to ferment out better than beer or wine yeast. I still have one quart bottle left over fro last year, which I will drink it when I make this year's brew.

MargieH: Raw apples can cause your food processor to "Burn out". This happened to one of mine when I tried to do a large batch all at once. they are not designed for such heavy use.

• Upvote 1