Were you at Berridge?

1 hour ago, IAN FINN said:

Are you coming up to Thoresby scrumping this year Beekay?

Too right sunshine ! Trouble is, when I get up there, all the bloody fruit will be gone. I shall have to call in Morrisons or Aldi in Nottingham, on my way and buy my pears there. Still, it's the thought that counts int it Ian.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

On 3/21/2024 at 3:55 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

@red robmentioned being in Mr Parr's class. Here it is. Are you on here? 1968, your final Berridge year.

Yes Jill 4th on the left back row. Great memories of the big tv in the hall near the climbing frames tunening in to watch with mother & prunes & custard for puddings!

On 5/24/2020 at 2:09 PM, Cliff Ton said:

More photos and details provided by Jill Sparrow.

yPpJ19I.jpg

@red rob  a much earlier photo, here. Are you on this one? Teacher is Miss Bowen. She taught me the following year.

15 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

@red rob  a much earlier photo, here. Are you on this one? Teacher is Miss Bowen. She taught me the following year.?

15 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

@red rob  a much earlier photo, here. Are you on this one? Teacher is Miss Bowen. She taught me the following year. 3

Not on this one but recognise a few faces-back row-? Lorrain Kirk. ? ? ? ? Elaine Johnson. ? ? ? Melvin Davis. ? ?.  Middle row- ? ? ? Melcombe Flowers. ? ? Denise Roper. ? ? ? ? ? ? ?. Front row-? ? Keith Hudson. Karen Pullen. Kevin Noon. ? ? ? Pauline Cross. ? Jill Maddon. Steven Wheat. ?. 3.  Crossed legs at front The Allen twins Melvin & Kevin. ?.. Sadly, Kevin Noon, Lorraine Kirk , Melvin Davis, also but  not on this pick Keith Hardy have all passed away.

@red rob  Yes, I heard about Keith Hardy and I'm still in touch with Debbie Noon, Kevin's sister who was in my year.  You may remember Hyacinth Gayle in your year. Also gone, sadly, along with two of her sisters. Also Phyllis Lawlor.

I was speaking to Gerald Chandler last night and I mentioned your name. He said it rang a bell but he couldn't remember teaching you.  In your third year of the Juniors, you would have been taught either by Gerald Chandler or Harry Cook. Do you remember which?  I have the Harry Cook class photo, I'll try to find it.

Thanks for the names on the earlier photo.

@red rob the photo posted above is the third year junior class of Mr Cook's in 1966/7. Are you on this one? If not, you must have been with Gerald Chandler.

Thanks to Letsavagoo for posting.

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

@red rob the photo posted above is the third year junior class of Mr Cook's in 1966/7. Are you on this one? If not, you must have been with Gerald Chandler.

Thanks to Letsavagoo for posting.

No not on that pick can't remember Mr Cook.

You must have been with Chandler, then.

I've sent you a PM with my email address. There are some questions I'd like to ask you and more photos but it will be easier to do it that way. Cheers @red rob

• 3 weeks later...

I recently found this photo which I'd archived and not realised what it was. In fact, it's a photo of Robin Hood, An Entertainment by Berridge School which took place on 4 April 1968 at 7pm. It was a combined cast of the final two years of the junior school, plus one or two younger ones.

Another old classmate had sent me a scan of the programme which is so faded it's barely legible but it lists the cast (so far as I'm able to decipher it because the odd name I can't read) as follows:

Narrators: Jill Sparrow, Martyn Jewers 

Robin Hood - Jeffrey Warren

Maid Marian - Carol Gray

Friar Tuck - David Dench

Little John - Jeffrey English 

Will Scarlett- Brett Stephens

Alan A'Dale - Christopher Fox 

The Miller's Lad - Jeremy Whitchurch

Robert - Robert Wyer

Cook - Stephen ?

The Old widow- Jill Madden

Her friends - Linda Wing, Susan Wilkie, Denise Roper 

Pedlar -Stephen Wheat

Minstrels - Jennifer Dench, ?

Sheriff - Leonard Smith

Villagers, etc - Johnny Davies, Keith Hardy, Stephen Eccles, Keith Hudson, Michael Chomyn. Paul Woods 

Others- Kevin Green, Charles Haskey, Lindsay Webster, Jane Flint, Fay/Ray (?) Savage, Stephen Varley (?)

Music and songs by:

Alison Smith, Denise Roper, Jayne, Topham, Pamela Clayton, Gary Martin, Melvin Allen, Charles Haskey, Bernice Bond, Lynn Bartle. 

I had forgotten all about this performance but as soon as I read the programme, I saw myself wearing my best pink and white dress with a red headband from 1968 and the entire evening came flooding back. The memory is a very strange animal.

thanks to @letsavagoo for posting.

One of them looks to be holding a real fencing foil...