Meadow Lane. Meadows or Sneinton?

Ayup Deeps and welcome on board

Notts County have a post code of NG2 , as does the Lady Bay Retail Park, as does Arkwright street. vis a vis it's both.

In my opinion Meadow Lane was named as such because it led from Sneinton to the Kings Meadow,which was a large area of land stretching from London Road (earlier 'Flood Road') past the Castle and all the way to Lenton.Taking in the present day Meadows,the Embankment, and the previous marshland now filled and built up as the Lenton Industrial Estate.

Which "bit" of Meadow Lane?

The northern end is certainly "Sneinton" & where it joins London Road is certainly "The Meadows" so where do you draw the "boundary"?

And what still counts as "The East Croft"?

My understanding is that the boundary is London Road, from the Midland Railway overbridge/Queens Drive junction to Trent Bridge...

Or is it bounded by the canal?

Therefore, Meadow Lane is entirely within Sneinton...

Cheers

Robt P.

As Rob237 said the boundary is shown on a 1899 map as following london road, with the east side being in the trent ward, and the west side being in the bridge ward.

On the same map it shows the river Leen as flowing into the Trent , just north of the City ground on the other bank, it must have been a major job to alter the course, to where it enters the Trent now, which is south of the old toll bridge, near enougth opposite Wilford church

I know the Leen was at the foot of Castle Rock at one time (Adding to the fortifications) and then put into the Canal when it was built (Hence "Canal Street") and so assume it still enters the Trent with the Canal near "The shitty Ground" and not opposite Wilford Church, which I was always lead to believe was an out flow from the power station.

Although a regular flow of water into said 'power station' would also seem like common sense so maybe it was later rediverted to supply it too.

Re: the small island.

I'd never seen it shown like that as some kind of physical/geographical feature based around the Leen, so that is probably the origin of the name in that area. I'd only ever known it called Boots' Island Site (and was Island Street there before Boots appeared?) because the canal does a kind of loop back on itself and creates an almost-island in the middle of everything. Like this........

island.jpg

Rog (Plantfit) has just told me that the Leen joins the Trent just above the Ha'penny bridge. There's a big iron gate and it's actually the weight of water in the River Leen that opens it to allow the flow into the Trent.

• 1 month later...

I think this answers the question, date unknown but the railway stops at Nottingham and does not proceed to Newark. [map snipped]

London Road station was opened in 1857 and I can't see it on the map. From this I assume that the map date is pre 1957.